hi everyone

That should work just fine for about 10 chicks for a week. How many do you plan on starting with?
I was thinking of starting with 6-8. My other debate is where to put the brooder. We just moved here and don't have much space in the house. We do have a screen porch which has electricity. Daytime temps are 80-95, nights are 65-70. Of course the screen porch doubles as my milking room now and one of my goats put a hole in the screen so it's not exactly intact anymore.

I was thinking of starting with 6-8. My other debate is where to put the brooder. We just moved here and don't have much space in the house. We do have a screen porch which has electricity. Daytime temps are 80-95, nights are 65-70. Of course the screen porch doubles as my milking room now and one of my goats put a hole in the screen so it's not exactly intact anymore.
Welcome to BYC.
I brood all my chicks outdoors using a mama heating pad when a broody hen isn't available. I have successfully raised chicks this way in the fall, spring, and summer. Just be sure that your area is secure from very tiny predators to bigger, stronger ones, and that the chicks have good cover from wind and rain, with excellent ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom