1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jdillrn, Sep 11, 2013.

1. jdillrn

jdillrn New Egg

Sep 11, 2013
    Burkesville, Kentucky
    Hello! I am excited to be a member! I was raised on a farm, and it was always my job to feed and water the chickens before school and gather the eggs. I loved my chickens.I also took chickens to the county fair for 4-H. We moved from the farm when I was 14 years old and I have not had chickens since then. Now I am 41 years old, and we just bought a mini-farm in Kentucky, it came with chickens, ducks, guineas, 3 pigeons , dogs, & 1 cat. I know nothing about guineas. They run wild on our property and one of the hens (if guineas are also called that) hatched some chicks. We have caught one of them, and are having a hard time catching the rest. We have been told the mommy is not very good at taking care of them and we want to keep them safe until they can fend for themselves. We have 11 chickens, and one is nesting. I am not sure how many eggs she is sitting on because she is up in the loft in the barn and I cannot climb up there. My 14 year old climbs up and gives her food and water every day. I am excited to see her chicks.
    I look forward to talking with everyone and learning more about chickens and guineas. I am sure there is a lot to learn and appreciate you all being here! I am not sure what all I am supposed to share here. I am married and have 5 children. They were all raised in town and we are all loving our country life experience! I am looking forward to teaching them everything I learn about chickens here.

Thank you!
    Jennifer D.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  2. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Welcome to BYC.

3. jdillrn

jdillrn New Egg

Sep 11, 2013
    Burkesville, Kentucky
    Thanks! You have a beautiful rooster!

4. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    Thank you, he is going to our county fair in a couple weeks.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. ederob

ederob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    [​IMG] Glad you joined! [​IMG]

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by