Hi Everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by comfy66, Nov 19, 2014.

1. comfy66

comfy66 New Egg

Nov 19, 2014
    Hi Everyone
    This is my first time posting as I have only just joined.
    I am currently looking after 5 chicks in there incubator,
    They are 3 weeks old now, and on reading the posts I see I need to be slowly lowering the temperature.
    I am going to have a look around for advice on how to do this.
    Plus I am trying to design a new outside area for them.
    We currently have a good size egloo house for them, but I am looking to extend the space they have, so will be looking for some designs on how to set it out.
    I have already seen I need to build them perches, which our previous chicken's did not have.
    I am really enjoying looking after them, and they are getting used to being handled, as I dont want them to be scared of us BIG people,
    Any advice anyone has would be brilliant.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

For information on renovating your Eggloo, check out the Coops section:Coop Designs

There may be some good ideas there. You can also post about it in the Coop Construction forum, here: Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance

I don't know what heating system you're using, but if you're using a heat lamp, the best way to lower the temperature is to raise the lamp a bit each week. You want it to decrease by about 5 degrees each week, until it reaches about 70 degrees F.

Good luck with your flock!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/housing-and-feeding-your-chickens

Hi :welcome

Glad you joined the flock. Hope you find the above usefull for coop designs and outside area for them. I would make sure any area you make for them is predator proof.

Lowering the heat for them by five degrees every week should be ok for them. When they first hatch they should be under heat at 95f then 90f after week one and so forth.

Good luck with taming them and hope you continue to enjoy them. Be sure to ask any questions you may have everyone here to help :frow

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

You've received some good advice and links already. I would definitely begin lowering the temperature for your chicks; 5 degrees each week usually works well. Once the temperature is down to 60-70 degrees, you can stop purposely lowering it, and the chicks should be ready to move outside (unless it is really cold).

Good luck with your chicks!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes, the best way to lower the heat is to raise the heat lamp a bit and this will lower the temp inside the brooder. Make sure to use a good thermometer so you know what temp it really is. 5 degrees each week until they are at room temp.

Definitely stop by our coops pages for some ideas. Have you seen our learning center? Lots of helpful tips and hints on building the coop, and raising the chicks....https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Here is a page from our learning center on raising chicks as well and lowing the temp in the brooder...https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

Enjoy your new babies and welcome to our flock!

6. Welcome to byc. You'll love it here.

7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

8. Thank you! I've actually been here for awhile but thanks. Xp jk

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Good luck with your hatch. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chicken eggs do you have in the incubator?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by