Hi folks.....new here....am designing a structure for 50 to 100 birds.

Oliveoilguy

Hatching
Apr 9, 2020
Have a market garden with 3/4 acre of organic veggies. Want to add an egg component to what I sell.
I am a builder, so building whatever structure will be easy but getting a smart design is my challenge.
1. Should the building be wood or welded metal?
2. How far away from my residence for odor and noise issues...but close enough to manage and keep under good observation?
3. With 76 acres can I let the chicks roam free range during the day or should I think about confining them to a smaller area. We have lots of coons and coyote and probably other predators.
4. Should I have 1 big house or consider multiple smaller houses.
5. Should I have a concrete floor or a dirt floor or wood floor like the old classic chicken houses?

Thanks in advance for advice....Please be safe and wear a mask.....Life is different now.

What you build out of and flooring may largely depend on your climate. Where are you located? I usually keep between 40 and 100 chickens. I have 5 buildings. You don't need that many. I grew up with 100 hens for egg sales and we just had one large 2 room hen house.
That had a concrete floor. I have one (normally used for brooding chicks) with a concrete floor. The rest are all elevated with wood floors. When building, focus on 2 main things. Huge ventilation yet no opening as large as an inch (to prevent weasel and mink intrusion). To accomplish both, have huge windows and vents covered with 1/2" hardware cloth securely attached.
The advantage of multiple buildings is for quarantine, and if breeding, to isolate breeds or for selecting roosters. The disadvantage of multiple buildings is that it takes more time and effort to feed and water, as well as locking up at night.
Predation is always a problem with chickens. I've been hit with every species imaginable. What attacks seems to change from year to year. This past year, coyotes have been the biggest problem. In years past, mink, raccoons and dogs have been the biggest problem.
Know that if you build it, they will come.
Were you planning on having roosters?
The following page has many large coop designs for your perusal.https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/large-coops.20/

Last edited:
What you build out of and flooring may largely depend on your climate. Where are you located. I usually keep between 40 and 100 chickens. I have 5 buildings. You don't need that many. I grew up with 100 hens for egg sales and we just had one large 2 room hen house.
The advantage of multiple buildings is for quarantine, and if breeding, to isolate breeds or for selecting roosters. The disadvantage of multiple buildings is that it takes more time and effort to feed and water, as well as locking up at night.
Predation is always a problem with chickens. I've been hit with every species imaginable. What attacks seems to change from year to year. This past year, coyotes have been the biggest problem. In years past, mink, raccoons and dogs have been the biggest problem.
Were you planning on having roosters?
The following page has many large coop designs for your perusal.https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/categories/large-coops.20/
Thanks for the reply. I am in South Central Texas. I bought 4 straight run birds hoping to get a rooster or 4, and the rest are getting shipped....Black Sex links and Red Sexlinks. Have to get off to work but will check out your link to large coops this evening.
Thanks’
Mark

Back
Top Bottom