Hi folks, new to this group, from west cork Ireland.

She's impacted. Can you examine between her legs for fluid build up or firmness? Compare her to the other birds.
Being a high production breed, she unfortunately might be suffering from reproductive cancer or internal laying.
Thank you so much for that. Ill check her tomorrow, they are in bed right now. Hope its not the cancer or internal layin scenario.

Hello, and welcome to BYC and good luck with the hen. It may be an impacted crop, crop malignancy or any of a multitude of reproductive problems. Bottom line is that you have given her a chance to be a 'real' chicken.
Im going to try something i read about involving olive oil & a syringe (without the needle!) in her beak then massaging the crop. After that is the only option a vet diagnosis? Getting really worried now.

Thank you.
i have a problem with one of my ex battery girls. She has a large lump on her neck. Dont know if its an impacted crop or a goiter or something else… she was like this when we got her 6mths ago but thought she was maybe just made that way! But shes not getting her feathers back like the others are. Shes very lively, eats/drinks well but i dont think she’s laying, hard to tell without separating her. I think they are all about 2yrs old (when the factories decide they are no longer worth their food 😡)
Any advice will be gratefully received. Pics attached.
3AD3F60B-A527-4DD6-AD59-4A44EEE81A3F.jpeg
Welcome to BYC. Poor girl, that sure does look like it might be an impacted crop, but if it looked like that 6 months ago, and she is still eating, drinking, and not losing weight, maybe it is a tumor.

Does it stay the same size or is it smaller in the morning?
What does it feel like? Can you feel bits of food or grass, or does it feel solid?

Welcome to BYC. Poor girl, that sure does look like it might be an impacted crop, but if it looked like that 6 months ago, and she is still eating, drinking, and not losing weight, maybe it is a tumor.

Does it stay the same size or is it smaller in the morning?
What does it feel like? Can you feel bits of food or grass, or does it feel solid?
It stays the same size all the time and feels quite firm but loose under the skin, like a bag of solid grain inside a deflated balloon (gross 😬) cant really feel anything specific. She is eating/drinking like the others and runs fast to greet me at the run gate so she seems ok to me (as a complete novice of course) apart from the lump. Shes not losing weight but not gaining either.

Back
Top Bottom