Hi Friends!

Aug 13, 2022
Hi Friends, I have taken on a small flock from a local friend of mine as part of my youth camps Urban Sustainability program that we are getting set up. I manage the equestrian program, along with our homestead type learning areas, "Elf's Flock" and "Elf's Gardens".

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I got my flock in July 2022, as a mature flock, and started getting eggs in August. I used to chicken-sit for a local neighbor as a kid.
(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
4 total, 3 hens and 1 rooster
(3) What breeds do you have?
1 hen each of Buff Orpington and Rhode Island Red both about 5 years old, and a roo and hen pair of Blue Laced Red Wyandottes about 3 years old.
(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I want to eventually specialize in Heritage Conservancy breeds, but also just love not being entirely dependent on non-local food sources.
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Gardening, fibercrafting- taking raw wool from shorn fleece to knitted item, reading older Sci-fi and Fantasy.
(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I have a small menagerie with 2 dogs, 2 cats, and a horse, and I manage an equestrian center for my local GS council.
(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

I found BYC through random chicken question related searches, and want to also become part of a stable community of chicken raisers.

Back
Top Bottom