Hi from a new member in NC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TabsZoo, Sep 23, 2013.

1. TabsZoo

TabsZoo New Egg

Aug 28, 2013
    High Point, NC
    Hi BYC Peeps!

My name is Tabatha Smith from High Point, NC. I've been a chicken mom for about 5 months, and am already obsessed! I started researching chicken raising a year ago and this community has been a life saver, so I thought it was about time to join officially, say hello and introduce myself.

A little about me...
    About a year and a half ago, I left a 15 year career in wine sales to pursue a "better" life. The wine business is great, but working 16 hours a day, 7 days a week and driving 1000 miles a week (average) didn't leave time for much of a life outside of the business. It is also very difficult to stay healthy with that much travel. I am now working my way towards a more self-sustaining lifestyle, raising chickens and gardening. I've started a small business selling handmade skin care, pet care and household cleaning products. I also help my mother with her pet sitting business. Now I am working 16 hours a day, 7 days a week but feeling so much more fulfilled! I am also passionate about cooking (since age 3), crafting, and supporting local farmers and businesses.

A little about my zoo..
    I live in a neighborhood right on the cusp of the country. Luckily, there is another chicken family in the neighborhood. I currently have a flock of six (I planned for four, of course). I have two, two years olds that were given to me by a family friend. One is a Black Sex Link, creatively named Blackie. I cannot figure out what the other is, but her name is Red and she rules the house. She is a mess! The other four I bought a couple days old and they are now 9 weeks old. Two solid white Easter Eggers, a Silver-Laced Wyandotte and a Cuckoo Marans, I think since she has the cutest pink feet. (I left the feed store with 3 Easter Eggers and a Barred Rock.) Fingers crossed they are all hens.
    Along with the girls, I also have two parrots, six cats and a black Lab. Again, Red rules the house!

So far I have learned: you can spoil a chicken in 5 seconds, chickens are hilarious, you should never visit your chickens without your camera, chickens really are not that stupid, and it is more awesome raising chickens than I expected!

Thank you all for your posts and information. You all have taught me so much. I hope to keep learning from you all and to contribute any way I can to this great community.

Thanks again,
    Tabatha

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. mcdfamilychicks

mcdfamilychicks New Egg

Nov 20, 2013
    Hello!
    I am from High Point, Nc also. I am interested in raising just a few chickens but I live in a neighborhood in the city. I have left a message at one office to get the regualtions and to see if it is even allowed but no call backs yet. I tried a few other numbers that I found on the web and all of them seem to lead to nowhere. Any advice on finding out if we are really allowed to have chickens where we live?
    I am gald that I saw your post. How very exciting!!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

8. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome and thanks for joining us!

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow