Hi from another Newby!

My quail are free range in the room and aviary too. They used to be scared of the budgies flying but now they are used to it.
Yes a definite no with cats unless you have a dedicated bird room!
Your quail live in your house? Could you possibly show pics of your setup? I’m super curious now! :lol:

I started with 7 giant egyptian coturnix chicks from a nearby breeder. Of those, 3 were males. One flew off when I tried to treat its injured head (bonked by flying up), and never came back

The remaining 6, 2 males were killed in their separate cage, by what appeared to be a weasel. One of the females was injured, probably by the same animal, jumping up and biting at the birds' feet in their separate cage. I have installed more flooring for them over nearly all that cage, and the injured female is in the house recovering in luxury.

That female has been joined by 11 chicks I hatched out to improve the genetic diversity. I didn't want the birds to just constantly in-breed. But I hatched more successfully than I expected! Too early to tell the gender division of these guys yet. They are about 3.5 weeks right now. Nearly time...

Here are a few of the newbies (it only shows a few of the colors)
quail swgambirds.jpg

I started with 7 giant egyptian coturnix chicks from a nearby breeder. Of those, 3 were males. One flew off when I tried to treat its injured head (bonked by flying up), and never came back

The remaining 6, 2 males were killed in their separate cage, by what appeared to be a weasel. One of the females was injured, probably by the same animal, jumping up and biting at the birds' feet in their separate cage. I have installed more flooring for them over nearly all that cage, and the injured female is in the house recovering in luxury.

That female has been joined by 11 chicks I hatched out to improve the genetic diversity. I didn't want the birds to just constantly in-breed. But I hatched more successfully than I expected! Too early to tell the gender division of these guys yet. They are about 3.5 weeks right now. Nearly time...

Here are a few of the newbies (it only shows a few of the colors) View attachment 3337668
They're so cute! Gah I love quail. When do you usually take them off heat?

Currently only have four quail, they’re getting on the older side for coturnix so my numbers have slowly but surely been dwindling.

I have two budgies: a sky blue opaline male and a light green female.
I started replying to this then got sucked into a vortex of budgie varieties information on google as I was tryjng to remember what shade of blue my boy opaline was called 😂 anyway its violet! My female is green and yellow opaline too. They have just decided (now that its winter ) that they quite fancy each other 🙄
How old are your (3😔)quail now ?

Here are a few of the newbies (it only shows a few of the colors) View attachment 3337668
Oh dear! Yes I had a weasel or rat get in years ago - horrible.
Cute babies. Hopefully the remaining female will find a friend.

Back
Top Bottom