Hi from Australia (East Gippsland)

SimTam

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2021
Vic, Australia
Hello everyone,
Just wanting to say hello to everyone here, I've already learned heaps from browsing. So many good ideas.

I started building a coop and run last year - something to do during the zombie virus outbreak
anyway, its pretty much all finished now, minus some more chooks

We sourced a couple of point of lay hens from a local farm supply shop (Isa Browns)
and a rescue rooster from the local primary school. For some reason Hens are in short supply ATM!

We had some bad luck with the hens, both turned out to be sick, snotty, coughing etc.
one recovered, one did not (after two weeks). The rooster seems fine and healthy, full of macho

We'll be waiting a few more weeks before sourcing some more girls, to be safe. Don't know what else to do??
Aiming for around 12 girls, mixed breeds

Here are some pics of the setup, pretty sure the girls will love it, if not ill make changes to suit them

Theres's a lot of treated pine in the build, from what I understand it's not an issue. Hopefully this is true.

Also, building on a slope is a major pain in the arse, reckon I've moved around 10 tons of dirt to fill the coop and run.
20210718_113515.jpg
20210718_104749.jpg

20210715_160724.jpg

20210712_132103.jpg

20210716_164710.jpg

Hello everyone,
Just wanting to say hello to everyone here, I've already learned heaps from browsing. So many good ideas.

I started building a coop and run last year - something to do during the zombie virus outbreak
anyway, its pretty much all finished now, minus some more chooks

We sourced a couple of point of lay hens from a local farm supply shop (Isa Browns)
and a rescue rooster from the local primary school. For some reason Hens are in short supply ATM!

We had some bad luck with the hens, both turned out to be sick, snotty, coughing etc.
one recovered, one did not (after two weeks). The rooster seems fine and healthy, full of macho

We'll be waiting a few more weeks before sourcing some more girls, to be safe. Don't know what else to do??
Aiming for around 12 girls, mixed breeds

Here are some pics of the setup, pretty sure the girls will love it, if not ill make changes to suit them

Theres's a lot of treated pine in the build, from what I understand it's not an issue. Hopefully this is true.

Also, building on a slope is a major pain in the arse, reckon I've moved around 10 tons of dirt to fill the coop and run.
View attachment 2776132View attachment 2776130

View attachment 2776129
View attachment 2776128

View attachment 2776138
Nice job.

Back
Top Bottom