Hi from beautiful Hudson Valley NY

LuluLuckybud

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 10, 2010
I have been reading this forum for quite some time but never joined. Now I need some help and I knew right away where I could find it. Please check out my plea on the Raising Baby Chicks forum (thread = Mixing/Segregating chicks of different ages).

I've had chickens for about 6-7 years. Mostly I've had about 7-15 chickens but now I'm ready to have more. I live on a big farm and have lots of room for free ranging. Once I had a problem with coyotes (a mom with pups wiped out half my flock one afternoon about 4 years ago) but not before or since, even though the coyotes are still around. The hawks ignore them completely. No foxes or fishers or raccoons. Guess I'm just lucky. I have had a problem with finding single birds suddenly dead in the coop or on the barn floor, not previously ill. Lost 5 last year, have no idea why. Maybe West Nile? We know we have it in crows here.

Right now I've got Australorps, Golden-Laced Wyandottes, Silver-Laced Wyandottes, Rhode Island Reds, Americaunas and a Silver-Spangled Hamburg rooster...these are my adults. I had a White Crowned Black Polish rooster who had tons of personality, he's gone now but I'd like to get another. I have 5 cross-breed chicks and more on the way. Plus I am incubating some Wellsummers, Black Copper Marans and Speckled Sussex. I used to have some Buff Orpingtons, they were nice, got along with everybody.

I also have sheep (right now only two Romneys), 3 donkeys, a horse, a goat, 3 dogs (2 are border collies), and a cat.

Gradually, without my even noticing, I've become obsessed with chicks and chickens. Here I know I am not alone.
tongue.png

Lulu

Last edited:
Hello from Greene county! I have a white crested black polish...Charley. The kids and my husband love him, he is so personable and a hoot to watch.

welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom