Hi from central Jersey

Chickenli

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2019
Hi everyone! I'm relatively new to chicken keeping, although I've had a wide variety of pets, including birds, over the course of my life.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We got our current set of chickens in late June of this year. I had hatched chicks in the past as part of a school community, though. These chickens are actually from the same school.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?
Not totally sure! I think we have at least one Rhode Island red. They're all still changing a bit as they mature. They were hatched from a set of "mixed" eggs, so no specific breed was given.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love learning about their different personalities as they grow up and become more and more friendly.

I learned about this messageboard from reddit. I'm a member of the subreddit by the same name.

Looking forward to interacting with and learning from you all!

welcome%21.gif
wave high happy.gif

flowerbar02.gif

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
What are you plans for any cockerels you end up with?

We already re-homed one rooster through word-of-mouth with a family that was in need of one, and are looking for a home for a second. He just started crowing last week, and we'll hate to see him go. I tried a no-crow collar on him for the first time this morning, but he hated it. I'll try again later with lots of treats, and hope for the best.

I do know of a poultry farm (link to their FB page) that will take roosters at any time of year for a re-homing fee of $15. I'd rather him go to a good backyard home, but it's nice to have a solid standby option.

Thank you to everyone for the warm welcome! This seems like a really great community.

Back
Top Bottom