Hi, from Connecticut a chicken fell from the sky, now I own a chicken

scoburn

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
Hi, In Jan 2011 a hawk or osprey dropped a Bantam chicken in my yard and my daughter was able to scare the hawk away before he finished the chicken off. She has been living in my house since it was a very cold this past winter winter. She is in a large dog crate with a roost, but she is outside most of the day with us. She also has a roost in my living room on an ab roller that she just loves. She loves to be on our arm or shoulder and follows us everywhere. My concern is: In Feb. 2011(she was around 6 months old) she lost about 7-10 feathers, so I assumed she molted. It is now June 22, 2011 and she is again loosing feathers. Wondering if chickens can molt more than once a year. Thanks!!

Well, that's one way to get a chicken! I don't know if chickens can molt more than once a year but lice are a possibility. You might want to look into that further and think about getting her a friend. Good luck!

welcome-byc.gif
from Michigan

I would def. get her a friend, chickens are "herd" animals, they need company. Perhaps shes losing her feathers because she's feeling lonely (its happened, trust me)

welcome-byc.gif
, hope you stay!

Wow, what a way to get a chicken and I thought you were just kidding. My chicks/chickens jumped into my car and the rest is history. I love being a chicken farmer. Good luck with yours

welcome-byc.gif
and she could be having a small spring molt I have heard of chickens doing that. I would double check for lice/mites and get her a friend just make sure to quarantine any new birds for 30 days before exposing them to your chicken. Good luck and hope you stay.

Back
Top Bottom