Hi, from Connecticut a chicken fell from the sky, now I own a chicken

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by scoburn, Jun 22, 2011.

1. scoburn

scoburn New Egg

Jun 22, 2011
    Hi, In Jan 2011 a hawk or osprey dropped a Bantam chicken in my yard and my daughter was able to scare the hawk away before he finished the chicken off. She has been living in my house since it was a very cold this past winter winter. She is in a large dog crate with a roost, but she is outside most of the day with us. She also has a roost in my living room on an ab roller that she just loves. She loves to be on our arm or shoulder and follows us everywhere. My concern is: In Feb. 2011(she was around 6 months old) she lost about 7-10 feathers, so I assumed she molted. It is now June 22, 2011 and she is again loosing feathers. Wondering if chickens can molt more than once a year. Thanks!!

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Well, that's one way to get a chicken! I don't know if chickens can molt more than once a year but lice are a possibility. You might want to look into that further and think about getting her a friend. Good luck!

[​IMG] from Michigan

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I would def. get her a friend, chickens are "herd" animals, they need company. Perhaps shes losing her feathers because she's feeling lonely (its happened, trust me)

[​IMG], hope you stay!

4. crossgirl

crossgirl Day Dream Believer

Mar 15, 2011
    Lakeland, FL
    Some people have all the luck! Nothing cool like that ever happens to me. I hope she's molting and it's nothing more serious.

5. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    Wow, what a way to get a chicken and I thought you were just kidding. My chicks/chickens jumped into my car and the rest is history. I love being a chicken farmer. Good luck with yours

6. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG]

7. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    What a brave daughter you have! I hope someone can help you with this. She sure is a trooper [​IMG]

8. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    [​IMG] and she could be having a small spring molt I have heard of chickens doing that. I would double check for lice/mites and get her a friend just make sure to quarantine any new birds for 30 days before exposing them to your chicken. Good luck and hope you stay.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Yes, chickens can molt more than once in a years time.

10. renart

renart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Kingston, WA
    [​IMG] from NW Washington State! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by