1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi from Houston

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Andy49, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Andy49

Andy49 New Egg

Nov 22, 2013
    Hi everyone, We are happy that we found this forum. We have a visitor. A Reeves pheasant. He just showed up one day in late September and he is staying put. He is not caged. He stays in our backyard and drinks out of the pool. We do feed him several times a day. If we are late with his feed, he shows up at the back door and hangs around till we get up and feed him. We feed him in the morning, afternoon and evening. I am semi-retired and working from home part time. We feed him large parrot food and he seems to like it (we have a 29 year old Amazon parrot). We bought a 50 lb bag of wild game bird feed but he does not like it. We have lots of questions. Some of them are listed below.
    1. How long can we expect him to stick around.
    2. How could he have ended up in our back yard.
    3. He does not like apple, spinach or bok choy, but he likes to eat our oregano leaf from our plant. Any other foods we can try.
    I am sure we will have many more questions later.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know anything about pheasants but if you go to the Other Backyard Poultry forum you will find threads regarding pheasants. That would be the best place to get answers for you.

I too, wonder how he ended up in your yard? That must be really funny to have him come to your door waiting for handouts. Could he have been someone's pet that he isn't afraid of you?

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. You are providing food - he will probably stay unless a predator attacks him. I would guess that he escaped from his owner and happened upon your yard

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

He will likely stay around until a predator kills him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by