Hi from LI, NY. Meet Omelette. Poop question.

JKav

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 29, 2014
Long Island, NY

Hi! Omelette was our only hatchling in our 2nd batch of Bobwhite Quail eggs. We planned on releasing her with others but she was too young for the last release. This Saturday, we brought her to the release sight and.. Well.. she pretty much followed us back to the car! So it looks like we may have a pet Quail :). She is very sweet and we love her.

For those who let there's roam as we do when our cat is locked up, are yours "litter trained"? I was reading about one that gets under the covers with her human at night. You must have a secret to share with us on how to handle the poop situation! Would love to know. Thanks.

Hi :welcome

Glad you joined the flock. I have a friend who hatched some quail and tried to release them in the wood behind her home they all went except one who returned to the garden and now lives as a pet with her guinea pig they are inseparable the quail rides round on the guinea pigs back. I havnt heard about litter training them but I'm sure if you post in the quail section someone will be able to help you :frow

Omlette is adorable. I didn't know quail would form attachments to their parents. But, then I know nothing about quail. Welcome to BYC

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Omelette is certainly an adorable little bird. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about quail (never had any), but definitely post on our quail section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail, and take advantage of our quail experts there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with Omelette.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Omelette is adorable! X4 on try the Quail forum for help with her.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Omelet is adorable! When you hatch poultry, the first thing they see is what they bond with. (and for this reason, release programs for bobwhites are often huge failures and even illegal if you don't have a license) I keep bobwhites and have hatched hundreds and hundreds of them over the years. Seems like the first hatchling in every batch bonded with me to the point not taking a mate because I am their mate, they sit on my lap, call for me, come running when they see me, etc... So this little chick is no doubt very attached to you. There are a few quail keepers out there that keep them as indoor pets. I have never done this, but as any avian species, they can make wonderful house pets and snuggle under your shirt, on the couch and all over the place. Bobs mate for life. What this means is, they take on one mate until that mate dies. So you are it!

Take care of this little fuzz full of love and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom