Hi from Livermore, CA

Ilvhugz

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 29, 2011
I would like to introduce myself, I am very new at chicken ownership. We have been given all our chickens by very nice friends and neighbors.

I do have a question, I have a hen who has what looks like her bottom is coming out. It is very red and protruding? What can I do? I did clean it up but don't know how to get it back in, my daughter seems to think an egg is stuck but we really don't have any knowledge.
Thank you

welcome-byc.gif
from Twentynine Palms in the high desert of California! You'll find a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful folks here!! Glad you joined us!!
thumbsup.gif

I'm sorry that I can't help. I have never seen anything like that. I'm sure someone will be along that can help!

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
from Washington State glad you joined us!
It sounds like a emergency situation, you will need to feel with your finger inside to see if there is a egg, use vegetable oil to help lubricate, it also can help her pass a egg. If the egg is stuck, you need to soak her in warm water (chickens seem to like this after they figure out its not going to hurt them) you might have to do this several times to help her pass this egg. Also if the pretruding tissue doesn't go down, preperation H helps with this. First try to find out if this is a stuck egg, good luck, there are many people here on byc that will help you with your hen.

Welcome from Spokane. Please give us an update tonight! Hope all goes well. That must be so uncomfortable for her.

welcome-byc.gif
from the Finger Lakes of New York! Happy to have you aboard! Looks like you are getting some good answers, but you might want to also post in the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures section.

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom