Hi from Michigan!!!

Chands

Songster
6 Years
Mar 24, 2017
Michigan
I guess this is kind of backwards, since I started posting first before I saw there was an introduction forum, but here I am! I live in Michigan with my husband, two boys (who love their chickies), four dogs, a cat, three parrots, and some goldfish. I've wanted chickens for years, but didn't think I could have then in town until my husband, who is a postal worker, started telling me about other residents who had backyard flocks.

I was elated to find that out, but I wanted to make sure so I called everyone from the humane society, the animal control, the city hall, the city police, the state police, and even the building inspector. I found out that I can have chickens as long as I don't have any roosters and they're contained in a coop. Yay!

After kicking myself into high gear, I assembled a brooder (we used to do animal rescue, so we had most of the supplies in hand) and started researching a coop. Of course, I fell in love with the simple and cute designs offered by Tractor Supply, but quickly learned those aren't nearly big enough, so we planned on constructing our own and settled on a shed and dog run plan that I've seen a lot of other people use. Then someone gave me a TSC coop so plans changed, at least for now, and I want to see if I can modify that, or use it temporarily until we can find a shed and create a coop out of that.

Right now we have nine babies, but a few of those are going to my sister-in-law's farm, as they intended to get more chickens this year, but didn't have any time or place to brood them. If you saw my other thread, my Americaunas turned out to be bantams (they were mislabeled by TSC), and I have two barred rocks, a RIR (who already has a bad attitude), and three adorable, fearless Brahmas (that I'm in love with).

So that's all for me. I'll post pics later if anyone wants to see the brood. :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Lots of us forgot or never posted in the newbies section when we first joined BYC.
hide.gif
I think I went right for the Raising Chicks section, can't remember. LOL

Anyway, good luck with your babies! They sure are fun to watch grow into adult birds.

Welcome to our roost! :)

welcome-byc.gif

I didn't get around to doing an intro for a long time after joining either (my first post was in the ER forum). Glad you finally said hello, it's nice to have you here!

Never thought of how useful postal workers are, apart from delivering mail. They do get a very good knowledge of what happens in a neighborhood.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
G’Day from down under Chands
frow.gif
Welcome and Congratulations!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Thanks everyone :) it's so much fun watching them grow! We have nine chicks right now, but a few are going to go to my sister in law's farm because they wanted more chicks but couldn't brood them. We have three Brahmas, two barred rocks, two Mille de'fleur, one golden Sebright, and one Rhode Island Red.

Here are a few of them:

Back
Top Bottom