Hi from NC

ncgator

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 6, 2014
Hello everyone,

Jim and Ann here from North Carolina. We have been playing around with a small flock of Americanas for about a year now. About one month ago, we decided to expand the flock and add a couple of breeds to the group. This was our first time trying to incubate eggs and we were able to obtain some American Bresse and Jersey Giant hatching eggs via the mail. We set a dozen of each breed and 6 of our mixed Americanas. The information on this site really helped us throughout the incubation process.

Unfortunately, over half of the hatching eggs for the Bresse and Jersey Giants candled as duds (infertile) at 7 and/or 14 days. However, we had some that did develop. After culling the duds, we had 5 Bresse, 6 jersey Giants and 5 of our mixed chicks left. We lost one that failed to unzip completely overnight on day 20 (it was full term and in the correct position). We are at day 22 now and we have 4 strong chicks of each breed and one egg is left in the incubator (we did the float test on the final 3 eggs, but 2 failed and on eggtopsy showed that they probably died before reaching the pipping stage). We have small hope that the last egg will hatch.

All in all not a bad result considering that half of the eggs were not even fertile off the bat. I can really see the difference in the chicks from the mailed eggs verses the ones from our flock. Our chicks were strong and hearty and the first to hatch. The mail ordered chicks tended to be slightly smaller and weaker so we have been focusing on making sure they are eating and drinking. They are much stronger today and all of them seem to be doing very well in the brooder. We are looking forward to learning as much as we can on this site and we have recommended it to several of our friends.

Regards!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

I'm sorry about your unsuccessful hatch. Good luck with the last egg, though!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

I"m sorry that your hatch wasn't successful!
hugs.gif

Welcome to BYC, Jim and Ann. I'm sorry about the losses you experienced with your hatch, but I'm glad you didn't lose all of them. I've had dozens of breeds over the past 50 years, but never American Bresse. I have had Black Jersey Giants and they were gentle giants. Ameraucanas (actually ours are Easter Eggers as true Ameraucanas are rare and only lay blue eggs) are my granddaughter's (pictured in my avatar) favorites. She loves the different colored eggs that they lay. Glad you decided to join our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Eggs available locally, usually hatch much better than those shipped and bumped around in the mail trucks. Also some breeds may be more difficult to hatch and raise. Great that you got some of all to hatch.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

We did use the information in hatching eggs 101 for this hatch. We just got sold a bunch of infertile eggs and I guess that happens sometimes. Truthfully, we are glad we got the chicks that we did out of this batch. Our dog turned off the incubator one night around day 17 and it got down to 66 F, but we read that all was not lost and continued with the incubation. So out of 16 fertile eggs, we got 12 chicks which really wasn't too bad. We learned a lot and would probably change a few things for the next time. Right now we need to focus on raising the new chicks. We have one fully grown hen that is really interested in the chicks. I wonder if she might be a good mom for them as they get older.

Back
Top Bottom