Hi from NE Georgia, new member.

jbc37

Chirping
Apr 19, 2023
Hi, Got some Americana chicks long ago and it was great fun. At the moment, have 17 mix of Brown egg layers and and assortment of 50 6 week old chicks.
We ordered 80, and thought ourselves crazy for getting so many. And the hatchery sent 160. We did not realize it right away, they were so small. But within a few weeks, we made an effort to count and found out we got our order and some other order also. OH Well, it has worked out. We had to sell over 100 in the last month. Many nice people, most want 2, 4 or 6. I had young chicks outside in a brooder when it got down to 5 F, kept them warm. I have hatched out a few batches long ago, it is a blast. I get the chicks using a automatic dog waterer at 2 weeks old. This pic at 6 weeks, they do not need the wood blocks shown. Will hatch hybrids in the near future, love those Olive Eggers, great conversation.

Attachments

• 6_weeks_1.jpg
    6_weeks_1.jpg
    874.8 KB · Views: 6
Hi, Got some Americana chicks long ago and it was great fun. At the moment, have 17 mix of Brown egg layers and and assortment of 50 6 week old chicks.
We ordered 80, and thought ourselves crazy for getting so many. And the hatchery sent 160. We did not realize it right away, they were so small. But within a few weeks, we made an effort to count and found out we got our order and some other order also. OH Well, it has worked out. We had to sell over 100 in the last month. Many nice people, most want 2, 4 or 6. I had young chicks outside in a brooder when it got down to 5 F, kept them warm. I have hatched out a few batches long ago, it is a blast. I get the chicks using a automatic dog waterer at 2 weeks old. This pic at 6 weeks, they do not need the wood blocks shown. Will hatch hybrids in the near future, love those Olive Eggers, great conversation.
Welcome to BYC!!

This picture is when they were smaller, at 2 weeks. I have 4 heat lamps, 3 cameras and can control them from my phone. It was tricky as the temps went from 30F to 60F many days. I opened their door at 2 weeks old, they would not fit in the Brooder, which alerted us, that we should take a count, and Shazam.

Attachments

• Brooder-27sq.ft.- 3 cameras-smart plugs.jpg
    Brooder-27sq.ft.- 3 cameras-smart plugs.jpg
    563.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom