Hi, from New Egg

Ronnie2

Chirping
Mar 12, 2017
Palestine, Texas
I have a chicken coop that is 8-feet, by 16-feet, and is 7-high, with 12 nesting boxes, could build more if needed. Question: Whats the maximum amount of chickens can I start out with, for this size coop? I want to find some Buff Orpington chickens, and a rooster? I live in Palestine, TX., 45-miles south of Tyler. My son and wife built the coup when they were temporarily living out here in my man cave in our paradise. They finally bought a home, and took there chickens. Am looking now for a seller/breeder?

The recommendation for coop floor space is 4 sq feet per chicken, minimum. (There should also be about 1 foot of roost space for every chicken.) You could probably house about 30 chickens in there. And, bonus, you have about double the nesting boxes that you would need!
I would recommend doing some research before you actually get the chickens, and also cleaning out the coop. It may have some disease that the prior chickens had but were immune to, and you don't want your new chickens getting sick. Good luck, and feel free to ask any more questions that you have!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom