Hi From New Hampshire

lin04

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2016
New Hampshire
Hi Everyone,

I inherited 4 chickens the end of October. I have one black sex-link and 3 golden laced wyandottes. They are beautiful! The sex-link is about 3 years old and the others were born last spring. I was not sure I wanted chickens but now I am obsessed with them. I love my girls. They started laying the end of November and haven't stopped. We get 4 eggs almost every day. I have recently been interested in getting some silkies so I have 5 coming the end of April. This will be the first time I have had baby chicks though we had them while growing up but did not have the responsibility of caring for them. I am really excited and getting prepared for them. I do know they are not big producers but I mainly want them as pets. I have read so much about chickens.
smile.png
My husband is building them a different coop. I can't wait!

Linda

Hi Linda and
welcome-byc.gif
- its great that you have joined us. I agree that keeping chickens becomes quickly addictive, and chicken maths (as you are experiencing with your impending silkies chicken maths is an issue we all battle with - and happily lose
smile.png
).

Joining your state thread will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area, which can be helpful (just type the name of your state in the search box).

All the best
CT

Hi Linda, nice to meet you. Glad your girls are contributing to their upkeep. Actually black sex links are very good layers for the first two years, and then it tapers off.
Just a word about silkies, they are extremely difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they crow or lay. They are a very popular breed and a big hit with children.
My friend has house chickens and currently has 2 serama hens and 1 silkie hen. If you put "Silkie thread," in the search box it will come up. BTW
welcome-byc.gif

Thank you for your help. From all I have read I did know that silkies are hard to sex but that's ok. I would like at least two but I sure hope I get at least one hen. We will see!

Back
Top Bottom