Hi from newbie in South Carolina

SC-ChickMom

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
Lexington
Hi.

After seeing the Chicks in TSC this spring, DH and I started throwing around the idea of having chickens. DS was not as convinced, but he is coming around. We took a visit to an urban farm in Columbia, SC and visited with their chickens. He was sold on the idea after that. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on and lurking here. Well, the plan is: building a coop in the fall/winter (sure beats building in the 100+ temps it currently is) and ordering chicks to be delivered late April 2012.

Coop design has been a little trying: We have an area of the yard that is long and narrow. We have a space 4ft wide by 30 ft. We are hoping to have a coop and run in this area. I want to make sure the coop is big enough and has everything they need. How long should the coop be for 6-8 Hens? I was thinking 8-10 ft.

I am having a difficult time narrowing down the breeds I want. We are thinking 6-8 hens. DH is set on a polish and a silkie. He likes the fluffy ones. I think I have narrowed down to an EE, a Wyandotte, Salmon Faverolles, and a Cuckoo Maran. Any thoughts to this mix? Any suggestions for 2 more?

Thanks for all the great info on this site. I know there will be lots more questions coming your way.

frow.gif
AND
welcome-byc.gif

Im new here as well. Sounds like you have enough room. 8-10 feet for a coop should be fine and then use the rest of your space for the run. I have Rhode Island Reds and they have been good to me. They are only 12 weeks so no eggs yet but they say they are a good for egg laying. Im sure someone else will chime in with better answers.

Last edited:
Welcome to the group hun i'm new here has well and i have two chickens in my backyard..
luv
pam x

welcome-byc.gif
Hi from SC! We just started with chickens this year and we're learning so much on this forum. We have 4 RIR and 2 BO pullets that are almost 21 weeks now. At least 2 of them have laid an egg - we've gotten 6 eggs total but can't be sure whose is whose
smile.png
They are nice birds - healthy, get along well, let us pick them up without too much fuss. If I had it to do over again I might choose to get just one or two of several breeds so we can tell them apart more easily. We have trouble telling our 4 RIR's apart from a distance so it's hard to refer to them by name as we're watching their antics. DH gets a kick out of Polish hens so whenever we need to add to the flock we might get one or two of those and maybe something else that will stand out visually from the others. They're great girls though and they enthusiastically patrol for bugs, worms, and approaching treats. Our black widow spider population was out of control all along the edge of our screen porch and patio - it is now decimated by our pullet pest control service
big_smile.png
Glad you joined and good luck with your preparations! Having chickens is great!

Back
Top Bottom