Hi from North Carolina

livelifebyluck

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 14, 2012
North Carolina
Hi my name is Megan and I just recently moved to North Carolina from up north. We got the okay from our landlord that we can have chickens so I'm beyond ecstatic!! We have been wanting chickens for years but was concerned about up keep and being able to have enough time to care for them the way they deserve.
My boyfriend and I are really big into gardening and our goal is to become a little less dependent on grocery stores since we live and hour away from them. That and I HATE buying store bought eggs, I like to know where my food comes from. I have been doing so much reading about chickens I'm dreaming about them and driving everyone nuts with all my chicken talk. We are getting Rhode Island Reds for our time since everyone has said this is probably the best one to start off with. We are getting eggs from a friend that raises them and we will be hatching them.
I found this website a couple months back and I have already found it helpful I like that you can ask questions and get many answers or thoughts on a particular thing!

Once I get them and start taking photos I'll upload them.

Megan

Greetings from Kansas, Megan, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Happy you joined us! Sounds like you'll fit right in on BYC!! One thing to consider is a mixed flock - different looking chickens, different personalities, different colored eggs, etc. To each his/her own. Best of luck to you!!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
RIR are lovely chickens. Good choice! Make sure you build a nice big coop and run now, 'cause you're going to enjoy your chickens so much and see all these other breeds on here and before you know it you'll want more...
wink.png

I haven't even gotten them yet and I am already making a list of other kinds I like the Ameraucanas so I'm going to do more research. Are there any breeds you can suggest for a first timer?

Back
Top Bottom