Hi from North Carolina

mndrockhunter

In the Brooder
May 6, 2015
Hi I am new to chickens, we have our first batch this year. Just a small flock of seven to see how we like it. Its been fun so far. We got a straight run and got 3 roosters, don't know how that will work out, so far they are not fighting other than posturing to see who alpha is. They are so cute, we got one broiler andshe is hilarious, she is so fat she waddles but she just keeps eating, they are old enough to take the food out at night., hopefully that will help. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to BYC. It's advisable to rehome 2 of your roosters. When the time comes, all three of them will tread the hens possibly causing serious injury to the hens. The normal ratio is one rooster per ten hens. Your broiler hen is a meat chicken. Eventually she will become too heavy to walk. Her frame wont support her weight and will cause problems. Normally at six weeks old, broilers are processed.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I agree with dawg on having to rehome 2 of your Roos to stop the over breeding of your hens. They really can cause a lot of damage to them. Here is the meat bird section of the forum https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/21/meat-birds-etc I'm sure members there will be able to help you with your broiler.

Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC, everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

welcome-byc.gif

I don't think I could eat my Peepster, wont she be able to lay eggs like other hens. We were discussing keeping 2 of the rosters separate from the others, I've heard that if there are no hens around they won't fight. Do people even adopt roosters, doesn't everyone want hens

Back
Top Bottom