Hi from Ohio

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nekobrenna, Oct 29, 2012.

1. nekobrenna

nekobrenna New Egg

Oct 21, 2012
    Belle Center, OH
    Hey, I'm new to raising backyard farm animals and I figured this would be the best place to find the information I'm looking for. I'm in Hardin County Ohio and it's pretty much flat, drained marshland out here. I just got a property this summer and we're going to attempt to raise chickens and ducks for eggs and meat and also rabbits for meat and any other things we might be able to produce from them [​IMG] Of course, the ducks will probably wait until we dig out our future pond. Oh and we also plan on being partial mushroom farmers too lol. We're trying to be self-sustained.... We'll see where it goes from there.

My first question to those experienced chicken raisers, of course, is which ones are good layers for this area of the US and easy for beginning chicken raisers like my family.

2. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hello and welcome to BYC from Kentucky. You will find the sex linked chickens to be heavy producers of brown eggs. Commonly they are know by commercial names such as Red Star, Golden Comets, etc. They also start laying earlier than your Heritage breeds. We personally like our Barred Plymouth Rocks. They have been laying extra large eggs and quite a few with double egg yolks. Don't forget to stop by the Breeds section https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/category/chicken-breeds for a complete list of chicken breeds as provided by BYC!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, nekobrenna, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our community! I second what Red Barn Farms advised on breeds. Best of luck to you!!

5. nekobrenna

nekobrenna New Egg

Oct 21, 2012
    Belle Center, OH
    Coolness, thank you for being so welcoming. I had also been looking into the green egg layers like the Araucanas, Amauracanas, and Easter Eggers; are they hard to keep? Lol, I'm an artist so the idea of colored eggs from chickens enticed me [​IMG]

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

The Henderson Chicken Chart is fun to go through when you are researching breeds

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Hi and welcome. I like Feathersite when I'm checking out breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by