Hi from Ohio!

Rayvenstar

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 11, 2014
London, OH
I'm a new chicken "momma" I suppose. Got my first 9 hens this spring, 2 reds and 6 tetras. Then a couple months ago I received my rooster from a coworker who had bought 3 in a straight run pick.

All is going well, eggs galore. I've come here often looking for tips and finally decided to create an account.

I live in central Ohio so I'm in the midst of preparing for winter which, in my case, probably isn't going to be all that fun.

Welcome to BYC, John. Glad you decided to join our flock. Even after 50 years of raising chickens, it's still exciting getting eggs. As for winter, feathers are great insulators (I've had chickens do fine at 30 F below zero), just make sure that their coop is dry and draft free. Moisture is a far greater danger than cold. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting lots more eggs. :eek:)

I hear ya, the weather in the Chicago area is no fun in winter either. We set all kinds of records last year, for coldest, longest, snowiest etc. etc. But, I'm old and I "keep" a lot better with refrigeration.

If you go to "where am I, where are you?" in the social forum you can locate and post on your state thread. Tons of chicken folk in Ohio.

I hear ya. It was so cold here this past winter, I had to dress in 3 layers to take my reluctant dog out for bathroom trips.....he wouldn't go unless it was out of the wind on the side of the house. And I normally tolerate cold very well too, lol

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! Yes, winter can be a rough one for poultry. Make sure your coop is draft free around the roost bar, let them roost low to the floor, have 1 square foot of vent space per bird in your eaves of the coop, and they should stay nice and dry and warm. I like to tack an old towel to the roost bar early winter. Warm feet mean warmer birds!

Good luck on this new adventure and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom