Hi from Ontario, Canada!

Holly185

Chirping
Oct 7, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
Brand new to chickens. 😁 I got my first chicks mid-April.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I have 5 chicks that are now around 4 weeks old, with two more young pullets (around 8 weeks old) coming next week. The chicks are still inside while the older pullets will hopefully be able to go right outside to the coop.

(3) What breeds do you have?
The chicks are Speckled Sussex, and the two coming are Buff Orpingtons. I did a lot of research beforehand about friendly breeds that would be good for beginners. I adore the Sussex. They're so friendly and social, and fly/hop up on me as soon as I open their door. I'm really excited for the Orpingtons, though I'm worried starting out with 7 chickens might be too much. I had originally only planned on starting with 4, but the minimum order was 5 for the Sussex chicks and I really wanted a buff or two as well, sooooo ... here we are lol.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Pretty new so still feeling it out, but I love the idea of having my own flock of these beautiful birds and having fresh eggs for my family. Their personalities also appealed to me - they're so cute and funny.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love reading and writing, and getting outside for hiking and photography. I'm also a huge board game geek, and knitting is my go-to for stress relief. 🙂

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I live in Ontario, Canada, and my husband and I just moved to a property with a couple acres after dreaming of doing it for years. We have a one-year-old daughter who is our world, and we also have a retired greyhound who's turning 9 this year. He's such a sweet and gentle pup.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC?
I found BYC while researching chickens, and once I finally got some of my own, I decided to join. I read so many helpful and supportive threads on here and knew it would be a great resource. 😊

Back
Top Bottom