Hi from Pacifica, CA

hopoutthecoop

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2019
Pacifica, CA
Hi y’all!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Brand new! First chickens were picked up the this year, beginning of August.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

7. Started with 8. Lost 1 to a heart defect and 2 to coccidiosis. Replaced 2 of the lost 3.

(3) What breeds do you have?

Red Bantam Cochin, Polish, Red Star x2, Silver Cuckoo Maran, Speckled Sussex and this thing (I forget what it is)...

CxV9qRS.jpg

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

The forced humility. To prepare for tending to my flock, I bought two books: Storey’s Guide to Raising Chickens and The Chicken Health Handbook. I pored over both. Yet... I still lost 3 chickens. It's been a great reminder that life doesn't work the way I want it. Life just happens and I have to adapt to it.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I read. A lot. Currently reading Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck after heaving read East of Eden last month.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Married 5 years in October with 2 young kiddos. Co-own a marketing agency. 1 other pet: a Maine Coon-ish cat named Lemon.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?

An Internet search lead me to BYC. I've only known about it since my interest in raising chickens started (this year). The decision to join was based on the awesome answers I was finding to questions I was having as a brand new, scared chicken daddy.

Back
Top Bottom