Hi from SE Connecticut

Nothinghead

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2016
Ledyard, CT
Hi there.

I have been reading this forum for a while now, we had chickens (6 sex links) last year, but the foxes taught their kits how to hunt on them all this past spring, so now I have some Wyandottes with a rooster this time. I was laid off in May and have decided to turn the three acres I live on into a farm, so hopefully my presence will help with predation too.

Anywho, I figured I'd make a profile here and say hello. In addition to the 7 wyandotte, I have 4 ducks, 7 guinea fowl, 3 naragansett turkeys, and 5 couternix quail. The plan is to breed the turkeys, and sell some for the fall next year, as well as eggs and chicks throughout the year.

Greetings from Kansas, Nothinghead, and :welcome. Happy you joined our community. Sorry your first go round with chickens didn't go well. But glad you kept after it and even expanded into other varieties of poultry! BYC is here to help if you have any questions along the way. Best wishes! :)

Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. People have different opinions about the efficacy of roosters as a flock protector but I would have thought that your guineas would make quite a racket when predators are around? Since you are home based, maybe an appropriately trained dog may be something to consider?

I wish you the best of luck with your turkeys and hope that the rest of your poultry / fowl related enterprises work out too.

Best wishes
CT

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us!
smile.png

Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. People have different opinions about the efficacy of roosters as a flock protector but I would have thought that your guineas would make quite a racket when predators are around? Since you are home based, maybe an appropriately trained dog may be something to consider?

I wish you the best of luck with your turkeys and hope that the rest of your poultry / fowl related enterprises work out too.

Best wishes
CT

Yeah, the guineas are certainly good alarms now. I didn't have anything but the chickens back when the foxes showed up. I am hoping to expand into sheep when we can get a hold of the 60 acres adjoining us, and then there will be some Pyrenees or other dogs.

Yeah, the guineas are certainly good alarms now. I didn't have anything but the chickens back when the foxes showed up. I am hoping to expand into sheep when we can get a hold of the 60 acres adjoining us, and then there will be some Pyrenees or other dogs.

I know what you mean about guinea alarms....had two stray dogs in the yard the other day. My six guineas started chattering like monkeys and I knew something was up. Got outside just in time to see the mutts chasing my geese and chickens. If not for the guineas I might have lost some birds!

Hi there and welcome to Backyard chickens! I would love to have some Guineas, just have not gotten around to it yet. I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

Back
Top Bottom