Hi from Somerset, England

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickenDayz, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ChickenDayz

ChickenDayz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Mudford
    I'm fairly new to all this... (keeping Chickens I mean!) I rehomed 3 hens back in November and now I have 4 ten week old black rock youngsters that one of my hens hatched out back in May... I didn't realize back then that Black Rocks don't breed true, however they are beautiful ... and all have different markings... and one is definitely a cockerel... I do live in a village but im not sure how long it'll be after he starts crowing that the neighbors will complain... so he might have to be rehomed... [​IMG]

I have a Barnvelder, Speckledy and a White Sussex.... and I am hooked on Chickens [​IMG]

Unfortunately I have not yet worked out how to load images from my ipad to these forums ... but I do have a blog:

http://chickendayz.blogspot.com/

Which has plenty of photo's..

My big girls live in an Eglu Cube and the 4 youngsters live in a classic eglu ( both bought second hand on eBay!) and they have full range of my garden although they are separated at the moment until the little-uns are of a similar size to the others to hopefully give them a better chance of integration...

I am a mother of 2 (13 yr old daughter and 5 yr old son) and i'm lucky enough to be a stay at home mum... my partner has surprisingly gotten much more into chicken owning than cat owning... he dislikes the cat intensely.... but she's a great mouser so she earns her keep! ;D We also have a Spingador (cross between a chocolate Labrador and springer spaniel) and there are murmurs of a new dog to be added to our family...

I have already put my mind at rest many times with the help of all you wonderful people here on BYC and I thank you for all your help so far... Alexandra.... (Alex to her friends.... and that means all you guys!xx)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to the forum. I took a peek at your blog, and it looks like your chickens have a nice set up. I don't think you will be able to post pictures easily until you have made 10 posts on the forum. It looks like you have quite a talent for drawing, I hope your chickens inspire you as subjects, too.

I have visited your area of the UK and really enjoyed it. I think staying at B&Bs in the UK with chickens and fresh eggs helped inspire my husband and I to raise chickens ourselves.

I hope your neighbors and the family don't mind the occasional crow. I have found that I like having roosters as part of the flock.

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hi and welcome to BYC! Wow, your drawing is fabulous! You are very talented. Your chickens are beautiful too. It's very nice to meet you.[​IMG]

5. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. alabamayardbird

alabamayardbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Winfield, AL
    [​IMG] from alabamayardbird

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

8. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    [​IMG]
    Do you have English Orpingtons? [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ChickenDayz

ChickenDayz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Mudford
    Thank you all for the warm welcome ... And I am aiming to sit and sketch my girls and hopefully my handsome boy... There is a little farm shop down the road and they have made favorable mumurings about taking some country type crafts and art on a sale or return basis ... And I don't personally have any English Orpingtons ... I do like the buff Orpingtons though ... However being a heavier breed I'm not sure they'd be able to jump up onto the ladder into the eglu cube ... My three rehomed hens use to struggle when their wings were clipped ... I don't bother clipping ... I'm shortly doing a post about cleaning my cube on the blog ... I aim to share every last bit of chicken life! Lol
    Thank you once again ...
    Alex xx

10. tlangsr81

tlangsr81 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Madera, CA
    It's real easy to get hooked on chickens. Lol. Welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by