Hi from southern California

elove

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 29, 2015
Hello,
I was introduced to the world of chickens when my husband and I moved into a house in southern California a little over a year ago and it came with 4 hens. Alas, we lost our Rhode Island red when she developed a tumor (and I actually took her to a vet and had her euthanized) a few months ago. So now the hens consist of an Ameraucauna, a black marans and a grey marans. I know nothing about keeping chickens except what I've learned from you guys so - THANKS!

A friend who breeds exotics had a few "extras" he needed to place and I got a gray junglefowl girl, a juvie male golden pheasant
and a (lavender?) guinea.
So then I decided to get 8 guinea keets from a local backyard breeder and raised them in the house.
And then a friend called to say a weird bird showed up in her garage. aaaand...now Chuk the chukar spends the day admiring his/her reflection in the sliding glass door

Welcome to Eleanor's home for wayward fowl!
We've expanded our coop massively and I have a netted in yard-space. So what shall I get next? (FYI I'm a zookeeper who has worked with birds for years but have never kept them at home - this is an invaluable resource)

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry about the loss of your RIR. It's always sad to lose one of our flock. :eek:( You have a beautiful flock. Thanks for posting the pics. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi and welcome to byc. I hope that you enjoy being a member as much of the rest of us.

Ct

Hi Eleanor,
welcome-byc.gif

What a nice introduction! I enjoyed seeing your pictures and reading how you came about getting them. So sorry for the loss of your RIR, I've been fortunate to have a couple of them and really like the breed.

It's nice to have you join us, I look forward to seeing you on the boards and hearing more stories about all your animals!

P.S. You don't have ducks yet...you need some ducks!

Don't think it hasn't occurred to me NorthFL! (BTW -I used to work at Jax Zoo. Love N FL!) Alas, we have a bit of a drought problem in our neck of the woods and ducks seem a poor choice these days...sigh. I sure would love some black-bellied whistling ducks.

Don't think it hasn't occurred to me NorthFL! (BTW -I used to work at Jax Zoo. Love N FL!) Alas, we have a bit of a drought problem in our neck of the woods and ducks seem a poor choice these days...sigh. I sure would love some black-bellied whistling ducks.

We went to the Jax Zoo in July (my 1st trip to that zoo), it was great! I loved seeing all the birds they have. What did you do there?

Sorry to hear about the drought problem, seems to be common for a lot of people lately.

I'm getting my first ducks in April, a total of 10 ducklings, 8 different breeds. Nothing as exotic as the black-bellied whistling ones but ones I'm sure we'll enjoy. And hopefully they can help with the bug population around us, our garden can use all the help it gets.

We went to the Jax Zoo in July (my 1st trip to that zoo), it was great! I loved seeing all the birds they have. What did you do there?

I was the supervisor of birds there from 2001 to 2005. They have a great bird collection!

Back
Top Bottom