Hi from Southern Illinois

My rhubarb is 2nd year so I'll be able to harvest some this year. A friend sent me some from her garden in Oregon last year. I have kohlrabi, leaf lettuce, carrots, pak choy, onions, garlic, broccoli chives and strawberries outside. I have blueberries, broccoli and strawberries inside. It's going to freeze for a few nights this week so I won't put them out just yet. I have plans for lots of veggies this year. Just hope I can squeeze them all in.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome! I'm about an hour north of St. Louis in Bunker Hill, IL. We've had chickens for a couple of years, and we just love them. We're also big gardeners - started some stuff already in the hoop house. Hopefully the freeze this week won't kill all the buds on our fruit trees like it did two years ago.

And we're working on being self sufficient - chickens, gardening, food preserving, etc. We'd like to be partially on solar power soon, and DH wants to build a windmill someday.

It's good to meet you!

Quote:
I would love to use solar or wind power, a dream of mine. Solar is still pretty expensive but for the little things...like, my son is building me a solar dehydrator this year..it's doable. Wind is wonderful but my dh says it's very tricky down here, being that it's gusty? I'm not sure but we are hoping to figure it out.
I could go on and on about my garden plans and if my tiller gets fixed today and the ground actually dries up some, (I say this as some rain drops are falling outside) .... err frustrations.
wink.png
I could go on and on about my chicken plans too.. umm I'll post somewhere else and ramble on some more soon.

Life is good! Thanks!

I am so glad to see someone from Illinois. I was beginning to think we were a rare breed!!! I am in Bond County, but my daughter lives in West Frankfort. I use to have a really good friend that lived in Bunker Hill area, and have been through all these places!!! Welcome!!!
welcome-byc.gif

I love to garden as well. My tomoatoes that I have planted indoors are developing their first real leaves and I am so excited. I grow MANY different crops but this is my first year for my fruit trees and, of course, for chickens! I am very jealous of the solar pwer and I hope someday to be able to move out of the city and be able to get solar and wind power.

Quote:
Ah, Bond County. We pass thru there occasionally and think it's a great area. We would have considered it when we were looking for property a few years ago if it hadn't been so far from work. I always enjoy hearing from BYC'ers in this area.

Back
Top Bottom