Hi from Southwest Oregon

Sharrykb

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2022
Southwest Oregon
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We got our first chickens on March 18th of this year. We purchased 8 chicks labeled as pullets from a farm supply chain, hoping we would get 4 to 6 hens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We recently rehomed 3 of the chicks and currently have 5.

(3) What breeds do you have?

1 Buff Orpington, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, and 2 Sapphire Gems. All appear to be hens so far but time will tell.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

So far my favorite aspect of raising backyard chickens has been just watching them. They are entertaining to watch.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

My other hobbies include knitting and buying yarn. And yes, those are 2 separate hobbies.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am a homemaker but also currently taking online courses working to complete a bachelor's degree in accounting. My husband is a metal worker. We have 2 kids: a 23 year old college student and a 19 year old who is still at home. We also have 2 dogs. My dear husband is not super fond of chickens but is being a good sport about it as he works hard on building the chicken coop and run. Hoping to get the chickens moved from their current temporary situation and into their permanent coop/run before they start laying eggs.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found BYC through a Google search a couple months ago and have been lurking and finally decided to join.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

We got our first chickens on March 18th of this year. We purchased 8 chicks labeled as pullets from a farm supply chain, hoping we would get 4 to 6 hens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We recently rehomed 3 of the chicks and currently have 5.

(3) What breeds do you have?

1 Buff Orpington, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Silver Laced Wyandotte, and 2 Sapphire Gems. All appear to be hens so far but time will tell.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

So far my favorite aspect of raising backyard chickens has been just watching them. They are entertaining to watch.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

My other hobbies include knitting and buying yarn. And yes, those are 2 separate hobbies.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am a homemaker but also currently taking online courses working to complete a bachelor's degree in accounting. My husband is a metal worker. We have 2 kids: a 23 year old college student and a 19 year old who is still at home. We also have 2 dogs. My dear husband is not super fond of chickens but is being a good sport about it as he works hard on building the chicken coop and run. Hoping to get the chickens moved from their current temporary situation and into their permanent coop/run before they start laying eggs.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

I found BYC through a Google search a couple months ago and have been lurking and finally decided to join.
Awesome! Welcome to BYC! Do you have any pictures of your flock? :p

Back
Top Bottom