Hi from Suffolk Virginia!

JsChkns

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2016
Southeast VA
Hi Everyone!

I'm J! After many years of wanting chickens, I finally have the opportunity to have my own. I can't express how exciting this is for me and my family! Our kids have wanted chickens for so long after being around my mothers flock of chickens. I have patiently taken chicken advice from my mother and best friend for years. I have learned a ton and look forward to learning even more!

We are located in the Suffolk, Virginia. We are only looking at getting 2-3 hens. After much research, we have decided to go with Cochins and Buff Orpingtons. We appreciate that they tend to be docile, sweet, good layers, and not so flighty. My mother and BF have had them and adore both of these breeds. I am looking for someone in or around our area that hatches these chicks. I am aware that our local Tractor Supply carries chicks, but not the specific kind we want. They also host chicken swaps. We would rather get our chicks from someone who hatches them than through a store.We are willing to travel to surrounding areas if need be. If you have any advice or thoughts about these breeds or can help us find someone who hatches in our area, we would greatly appreciate it! Look forward to hearing your thoughts! Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

Hello and :welcome
We are glad you joined us!

Where are you? I live in California and hatch chicks myself. I'm trying to start a mini business for my community only, and would love to hatch some chicks for you if you live close. If not you can always check with people on BYC for home hatchers, I'm sure they would love to hatch some chicks too! :)

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. You will love the Cochins and Orpingtons. They are both very calm and gentle breeds that make great lap pets. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in locating your birds.

Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you join us. Check out your state thread for possible sources of the chicks you want.

Good luck

Ct

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome! I have been on BYC for hours today just soaking up all the knowledge. This place is wonderful! Just to let you know, I had some luck finding a chick source locally. its a small little feed store and the manager has a degree in agriculture and specialized in poultry. What a find! He is very knowledgeable and helpful. So it looks like we will be getting our babies in late Feb or early March. Plenty of time to build our coop, get a brooder, and have everything set up to bring them home. Thanks again everyone!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I have been on BYC for hours today just soaking up all the knowledge. This place is wonderful! Just to let you know, I had some luck finding a chick source locally. its a small little feed store and the manager has a degree in agriculture and specialized in poultry. What a find! He is very knowledgeable and helpful. So it looks like we will be getting our babies in late Feb or early March. Plenty of time to build our coop, get a brooder, and have everything set up to bring them home. Thanks again everyone!

You're welcome, and I'm glad you've found a good local source of chicks and information.

Back
Top Bottom