Hi, From Texas, We are newbies

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chicksdigit, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Chicksdigit

Chicksdigit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2009
    Tool, Texas
    My daughters and I bought and moved to two acres in a small country town not too far from Dallas.
    One day while perusing one of the local flea markets we saw some chickens and my youngest said she wanted some chickens.
    We went home and went online and ordered some day old chicks from a local Hatchery (Ideal). The chicks were sent to our post office and all were alive and well and in good order. They grew and grew and are now 41/2 months old. I also went to our local feed store and bought an incubator, thinking that I would hatch some of the eggs our girls were going to have. We hatched a few quail eggs to break it in and it works well.
    I only have one problem My chickens haven't laid egg one, yet but I constantly have to talk myself out of getting some eggs to put in the incubator .............How do you keep from having way too many chickens?

2. jeffro29

jeffro29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    southeast nc
    you can never have to many eggs or chickens lol.
    [​IMG]
    I can have a bad day at work and calm down watching my chickens my whole family loves them and welcome to the addiction I mean backyard!!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  3. Peaguy

Peaguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    May,Texas
    TOO MANY CHICKENS????
    There isn't such a thing is there??? [​IMG]
    Depends on your definition of too many [​IMG]
    Your on the wrong site if your TRULY seeking prevention measures/methods!
    Nuttin' but 'nablers here!
    What breeds did you and your girls get?
    Oh and [​IMG] to the nut house! oops! BYC! [​IMG] where there is no such thing as a stoopid questions just lots of different answers to the same question.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] We build more pens, bigger barns. [​IMG] You can give them away and eat them. Congratulations on your new chicks. [​IMG]

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Please define "too many chickens" - I am not familiar with that term.

41 and counting.......

ETA, [​IMG] !

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  6. Lil_Chickadee

Lil_Chickadee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2009
    WV
    [​IMG]

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Hello and welcome! [​IMG]

8. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    Welcome! I'm an urban outlaw with 8 hens. I'm only supposed to have two. (o;}

I got my hens as week old chicks from Ideal. I got them two days before Christmas, so they may be from the same batch. I have no eggs from them yet, but I'm expecting them any day. Since I lost one chick, I bought a black Game Hen to save her from a 2 x 2 cage she shared with a mean lookin roo. I get eggs 5 out of seven days from her. I really just got her hoping she would show the other girls how to lay.

Don't get too many chickens now, I may need you to hide a few if the city catches up with me. No, really I don't think anyone is going to complain.

Enjoy your time here, but be carefull! The inablers are everywhere and they use chick pictures for propaganda. If you go to their side, you'll be wrapping your lives up in poultry. Uhh! They may have me because that doesn't sound bad.

Check out my sites for some fun!

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

10. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hello and [​IMG] from NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by