1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hi from Texas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bubra007, May 5, 2009.

1. bubra007

bubra007 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Hello! Im new to keeping chickens! We got our first babies about 7 weeks ago..3 shaver reds,1 RIR and a barred rock. Our dog killed the barred rock last weekend, so in our misery, my husband and I went and got five more chickens. We added to our flock 2 barred rocks, 2 buff orpingtons, and another RIR. The newest chickens are 10 months old, the original 4 are about 2 months old. I am loving them more and more each day! They have such personality!!!

I am learning so much from this site!!! I love all the pictures and can't wait to post some of mine!

Right now we let the chickens have the run of the backyard during the day, and at night I put them in their coop and let the dog have the run of the yard. This is troublesome and I hate having the dog in the garage all day...does anyone have any ideas on how to keep the peace or how to split up the yard so the two species can co-exist? After our dog killed "Obama" we were ready to put a bullet in his head...but other than the chicken murder, he really is a good dog. I'd love to hear your ideas!!!

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Hi Bubra007,
    [​IMG] from Washington.

There have been lots of past posting about training dogs, and mixing dogs and chickens. Try doing a search here. Be careful and Good Luck.

Imp

3. peckndirt

peckndirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    Welcome aboard you'll like it here , [​IMG]

4. Honeysuckle

Honeysuckle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Burnin' up in KY
    Welcome. [​IMG]

5. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    [​IMG] from North Carolina![​IMG]

Some people have the yard divided by a fence. If the fence won't keep the dog in, they put electric wire on the fence. I hope you solve the problem![​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

8. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana