Hi from the Bitterroot Valley, MT...and some questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Hillia, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Hillia

Hillia New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    Hi! My husband and I recently moved to this area and bought a home with 5 acres. I'm looking forward to starting my flock and my garden at the same time next spring. I have an idea that seems brilliant :) so I'm wondering what I'm missing...

My goal is to have a nice sized garden and a self-sustaining flock of ~20 chickens. My thought is this: I'll fence off an area about 2.5 times the size that I want for my garden. In the middle, I'll build a decent size coop/garden shed, and then split the garden in half with fencing. Each year I'll use one half for garden and the other half for a chicken run, switching year to year. I'll let the chickens have the garden half each year for a few months before planting - I've read that chicken manure has too much nitrogen and will burn plants if it's not allowed to age a bit before use. I'd need a separate, non-chicken-accessible area for any perennials I want to grow, like berries and asparagus, but otherwise it seems like the chickens would get the benefit of a nice sized run, and they'd do some weed/pest control for me before planting time each year.

What problems am I not seeing with this plan?

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC, and congratulations on your new home. Sounds like a great idea to me. I'm almost certain that somewhere on site is a schematic/plan from someone with the same idea.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Hillia, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! I like your plan - hope it all works out!

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! I'd love to see pictures once it's built.

7. SonOFABA-VP

SonOFABA-VP New Egg

Aug 31, 2013

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  8. SonOFABA-VP

SonOFABA-VP New Egg

Aug 31, 2013
    I've used my chickens for weed control. When I get a weed problem, I toss their feed into the patch for about a week. By the time they're done digging and scratching, I'm down to bare dirt - ready to plant grass, etc. It works better if you take a straw broom and sweep the droppings. I screen out the doo-doo. I don't even trim my lilacs anymore. I toss wheat under them and the chickens do the rest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by