Hi from the North Atlantic, "Newfoundland, Canada"

tcroucher

Hatching
Dec 6, 2015
Hi All BYC'ers,
Just a quick hello. I have been reading a lot of informational threads on BYC before starting my flock in June, 2015 and of course reading a lot since. I picked up 6 production RIRs in June 20th and they were about 6 days old when I got them. I also picked up 6 pekin ducks at the same time but unfortunately four of them are drakes, so I need to thin those and as they are pets, I am not permitted to use as table fare. All of my birds are pets for the kids and of course eggs for consumption. I have since picked up two roos, one copper maran and one EE and also an EE hen. I got my first egg last week and two more shortly after and nothing since. Keep in mind temps are at or near freezing for the past few weeks, so not really expecting a lot of egg production during the remainder of the winter.

I picked up an incubator for my 6 year old daughter for xmas as she is very interested in hatching some new chicks. We are looking at some EE/RIR crosses and CM/RIR crosses as well as purebred EEs. I think these combinations should add some interesting colour to the flock. Any comments/concerns with any of these crosses?

Anyway, glad to be a part of the BYC community.

Kind regards,

Trevor

Hi :welcome Trevor

Glad you could join us here! Congrats on getting your poultry adventures underway :clap
Sounds like you are enjoying it very much. I'm sure your daughter will be very pleased with her incubator for Christmas. I love incubating and hatching, lots of fun and very rewarding too when you see the chicks hatch. I'm sure your daughter will enjoy it to, I will say though it can become addictive!!

Wishing you the very best of luck in the future, be sure to ask any questions that you may have. Everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Actually EE's are the result of specific mixed breeding and produce pastel colored eggs. You may want to check out the thread "Canadians, check-in-here!"

Actually EE's are the result of specific mixed breeding and produce pastel colored eggs.
X2 on drumstick diva's post. Easter Eggers are actually hybrids produced by crossing blue egg laying breeds with brown egg laying breeds to produce offspring that lay eggs in colors other than just blue (olive, green, beige, and even pale pink). They are frequently and incorrectly marketed by hatcheries under the labels Ameraucana or Araucana, both of which are true breeds that lay only blue eggs.

welcome-byc.gif

Hope you continue to have a wonderful time here! We're glad to have you join us!

Welcome! I bought myself an incubator for Christmas and of course I have one set of La Bresse and one set of Barbezieux eggs being delivered!
Found this website and my husband said as long as I have a plan that will work to keep them warm enough to survive I can hatch out some chicks!
So if your daughter is going to be hatching out chicks this winter, find the thread on using a heating pad (uses lower watts). I've got a wooden shipping crate for a
brooder, put a heating pad over an upside down wire basket with an opening for the chicks to go in and out. Found someone in Wyoming doing
this in the barn - I have too many large predators, so mine are locked up in an enclosed brooder. In case of power outage I have a large plastic
tub to put the chicks in and move them closer to the generator. We just experienced that. Just hatched six out last month, we've had snow, below
freezing temps and they are doing great! Wishing you and your daughter a great Hatch!

Back
Top Bottom