hi from the uk

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by tomcatvmp, Jan 6, 2015.

1. tomcatvmp

tomcatvmp Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2015
    hi everyone, I thought a quick hello was in order. I built my first coop from scrap wood last July and got myself 2 warren/ranger hens from the local rescue centre. they flourished and so I got a third having read ,(probably here) that three was best "to avoid a lonely hen" if one suddenly died. Chuck , Berry and Martha where soon joined by Lenin the avesbury duck and Maggie the indian runner. Unfortunately a fox saw to the ducks and Martha last month. After repairing and strengthening the coop I rescued a light sussex that was found wandering on a local golf course. so chuck berry and holly are my current hens. I am well and truly hooked and having had the awful experience of a fox attack not deterred. That's my story there isn't much in the way of chicken community's online here in the uk so I look forward to chatting with you all .
    regards
    anthony

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hello, Anthony, welcome to BYC.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So sorry about your loss. I have heard from other UK members that fox are the worst predators. You may want to check out the coops & predator forums for advice on keeping fox away. Are you allowed to trap them?

4. backyardjack

backyardjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2014
    England
    So sorry to hear about your losses! Where abouts are you in the uk? I'm in lincolnshire and where I am there aren't really any foxes which is lucky :) I have five 2 and a half week old chicks, I would love to build my own coop one day! [​IMG]

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry to hear of your losses. Will you try for more ducks? I've never had any but a lot of people really enjoy them.

If you would like to "meet" other members from the UK, you can find them here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/2199/anyone-in-england

Nice to have you join us!

6. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

So sorry about your loss. :welcome from Washington State, glad you joined us!

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

I'm sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry for your losses :hugs

10. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! Sorry to hear of your losses. Wish you the best of luck in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by