Hi from Utah...

LDSmama

Songster
Feb 8, 2018
Logan, Utah
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I'm sort of new again? I had chickens (and geese, and ducks, and rabbits) growing up, but it's been a good forty years since I had chickens. My chicks just arrived yesterday.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 17

(3) What breeds do you have? An assortment - White Rock, Egyptian Fayoumi, Light Brown Leghorn, Barred Rock, and Silver Laced Wyandotte, for sure. Also possibly Buckeye, Ancona, Black Jersey Giant, and an Olive Egger.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Google search.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Crafting (all sorts), cooking, reading.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. Oh boy. I have six children, all but one of whom are adults. And only one of those adults is actually out on there own. :D Oldest daughter (27yo) is married and has one little boy. Next three kids (24, 22, & 20yo) are disabled - all have Autism, to varying degrees, and all have mental illnesses as well. The 24yo is also disabled physically, while the 22yo has a surgically-fused spine due to severe scoliosis. Those three will likely always live with me, or at least very close by. 18yo son is a senior in high school, getting straight As, and already has his first scholarship to college. Plans to major in Computer Science & Math. Youngest child - 14yo daughter - is an artist. I've homeschooled all my children, other than my 18yo - he chose to attend public school for high school.

I am also disabled - I am unable to stand for more than 5-10 minutes without pain, and cannot walk more than 25-50 feet. So I use a power wheelchair anytime I am not inside my house. Makes my dream of having a hobby farm just a dream. But now, with my oldest child's help, I get chickens! She wants chickens, but doesn't have the space at her home, while I have tons of space, but can't do most of the work to care for them. So I'm getting ready to build the tractor coop to house them (ok, I'll direct her and her husband to do the building!), and I've designed the coop to allow me to gather eggs from my chair, as well as replenish feed & water easily. Plus I can connect the coop to my chair to pull it around the yard. We plan to use the deep litter method in the winter months, when we'll park the tractor coop right on the garden bed. Then, come spring, we'll move the coop, and all that wonderful compost can go right in that soil, to be used in my raised (also wheelchair-accessible) vegetable beds.

Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us and congrats on your new flock. There are quite a few members here that have physical disabilities and with a little thought and trial and error, they seem to make things work and I'm sure that you will too.

Here’s a link to the Articles section to help brush up on your knowledge - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ There you’ll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs.

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Welcome to BYC, and you might find that chicken therapy is a real thing. During the warmer days I like sitting outside and watching them go about their day. We even invested in rocker chairs for the porch after getting ours. My favorite activity to watch is when one gets ahold of a larger prey item that can't go down in one shot and they play their keep away games!

Some of the gals we own are quite social and hop up on our armchairs to say hi, but that is usually a rare occurance. They are probably only assessing me for treats, but it seems cute.

Back
Top Bottom