Hi from Wellington

Dominoes

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2015
Wellington, New Zealand
Hi,

My name is Andrea. I live in Wellington, New Zealand. We got our first chickens two weeks ago and I know very little about looking after them. This forum was recommended by our seller in Hutt Valley, and I feel it will help me feel less lost about what to do. My husband made our chicken tractor over the winter, though we're planning to make a real coop for them in the future, once we start creating the gardens.

Our two chickens are Princess Atta and Princess Dot. Atta is a 1.5yr old black orpington. Dot is also about 1.5yr old white and black wyandotte. They have great personalities and are getting used to the kids coming to see them regularly during the day. The kids are 16 months and 3.5 years old. Atta laid her eggs on the ground for 2 weeks, but has just this past weekend started laying in the nest. She loves to sleep on the roost at night. Dot loves to sleep in the nest at night and has laid her eggs in there from the start. Last week was terrible weather and we discovered the nest leaked and ended up putting mats over the hutch to keep them dry.

I'm still unsure if I'm feeding them the right quantities of the right stuff, but they have continued to lay yummy fresh eggs, so I'm guessing we're doing ok at the moment. We've borrowed a little run off a friend, as we have a stream running through the property, and we are on a busy suburban road, so can't let them free range at this stage. We will be making a bigger run in the next month or so.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.
Dominoes

Hi Andrea and a warm welcome to BYC!

The Learning Centre should help guide you in the right direction, but feel free to ask any questions - we all help each other!

I would suggest blocking the nest on a night time to prevent your chickens sleeping there (helps to keep them poo-free).

Re: Feeding - a layers feed, maybe with optional oyster shell should suffice. I would suggest leaving a constant access to feed during daylight hours - they will only eat what they need.

Any treats you may wish to give them should be minimal - the feed provides all the necessary nutrients / vitamins etc.

All the best
CT

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Oh dear. Is it a bad thing that Dot sleeps in the nesting box? I thought this was good. It seems I don't know the difference between feeds and treats. Just learned from a friend that we've been feeding our chickens entirely treats and no balanced feed for 3 weeks. We'll probably get one of those dispensing things that they can operate once we get enough funds. Today we got a small egg from one of them. I think it's Atta, based on the size of the indentation in the nest. She usually lays 65g and this was 45g. Thank goodness this forum has a great article on egg problems!

Hi Andrea, welcome to BYC!

Too many treats can affect a chickens egg laying and overall health. You want to keep the treats to healthy stuff and at about 10% of their total daily food intake (the other 90% should be a nutritionally balanced poultry feed). This chart from the Learning Center shows a list of healthy treats and also a few of the things not to feed them:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-treat-chart-the-best-treats-for-backyard-chickens

You don't want your chickens sleeping in the nesting boxes because chickens poop a lot during the night. That makes for some dirty nesting boxes and dirty eggs. Give them a roost to sleep on, for instance a 2x4 board with the wide side down for their feet and make the roost higher than the boxes.

There are a lot of very helpful articles in the Learning Center that cover all sorts of poultry raising topics, check it out:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck to you, thanks for joining us!

Back
Top Bottom