Hi from Wisconsin

JRsMom

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
I've had my first chickens for just over a week now. They are 6 wks. old 3 blue orpington girls, 1 blue orpington boy, and 1 blue splash orp. girl. I am hoping to have babies next summer. I also have 1 wonderful hubby, who built a double decker coop for me, a 12 yr. old son, who says he's going to be a chicken farmer,(after his career as a NFL player), a border collie named Lucky, and an American Eskimo mix named Little Girl. I know very little about raising chickens, and will probably be asking alot of questions lol.

My first question is, can I start giving my girls (and boy) treats? The lady I got them from has been giving boiled egg everyday, and I'm still doing that, but can I give them anything else? I gathered some earthworms for them this A.M. They looked at them like they were aliens from outer space!

Lisa

How are the kiddos doing? Treats are good. In moderation until they get used to them. I have given earthworms, japense bettles and little bits of food items left over to the chicks with no bad results. Moderation is the key. Some folks don't get that and dump in alot of food and it just gets wasted by spoilage and if some of the chicks eat to much it can upset their systems.

I also live in Wisconsin. Welcome! I gave mine french style green beans very early (probably 3 weeks). Since then they have had scrambled egg, rice, oatmeal, dandelion, grass clippings, skirt steak, worms, egg shells, and spiders.

WelcometoBYC.gif

Back
Top Bottom