Hi from Wisconsin!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by drdani67, Dec 30, 2012.

1. drdani67

drdani67 New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    So excited to join. Like everyone else I love talking about chickens. I have solved many problems in the past in free ranging my birds and keeping predators out. But I'm totally stumped today. We have a pair of guineas, got them this summer. Three nights ago they decided to stay the night in the trees and they have't come down since. We have about 8 inches of snow on the ground. We tried to chase them down yesterday. Yeah, right. I put dark sheets on the ground and am trying to coax them with food and water. It will be subzero tonight. Will they really commit suicide by not coming back to the nice, warm, not crowded coop?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Love talking about chickens? You've come to the right place. [​IMG]

3. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined. Sounds like you are doing the best you can at this point. Maybe try sweeping the area under the tree if possible. I do that in my chickens pens and it helps. My thought is they will get hungry and come down soon. Best of luck to you

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I know it's not going to be much fun with the snow and all, but if all else fails I think you should get into that tree and go get them and put them in the coop when it gets dark. I made the mistake once thinking my chickens would be safe high up in a tree. They were not. [​IMG] I found a pile a feathers under the tree early one morning. After a few evenings of physically removing them from the tree and putting them in the coop they got tired of it and went in by themselves.

If you can keep an area round the coop snow-free for them they may be happier staying on the ground and sleeping in the coop. Good luck!

5. drdani67

drdani67 New Egg

Dec 30, 2012
    We were climbing all over the trees yesterday but they just flew from tree to tree. We have wrangled the guineas before but they are much trickier than chickens. Didn't think about doing it after dark. They would be quieter but maybe not safe for us.

I don't get why they suddenly stopped using the coop. They were mostly staying in the coop all day. My husband is going clear the snow from the area they are at which is on the opposite side of the house as the coop. They are about 100 feet from the coop.

Thanks for the tips. Keep them coming.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I have found locking my chickens in coop and not letting them out for a week or so reinforces that the coop is home - not the trees. But I understand guineas are a different animal together. Good luck to you and Happy new Year!!

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by