Hi from Yuma, Arizona

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by vallonelee, Jan 27, 2011.

1. vallonelee

vallonelee New Egg

Jan 27, 2011
    I am new to chickens and just found this list through the suggestion of a friend. I am enjoying learning so much about chickens, breeds, etc. I purchased 6 RIR, 5 BR, and 3 Americana mostly because my husband, David, wanted to get back to having chickens like he had when growing up in Florida. I never had chickens and didn't think much about them until now, and I can see how addictive they can get ! I am fascinated with them. When I was a kid we had ducks and geese, but never chickens. These are only a few weeks old now and I am fascinating to see their personalities emerging.

Okay so a little about us. David and I live in Yuma, as we ended here after his military career and we grew to love the area. I do medical transcription from my home, which is a dream job as I can work my own hours. I also have 5 horses, 4 dogs, 2 cats and 3 desert tortoises. I do endurance riding on my Arabian horses, cross country of 25 or 50 miles in a day. I also do foster work with the Humane Society here in Yuma and have hand raised everything from hummingbirds to cats to dogs. I have done horse rehab and training in the past but now I just ride my own horses. As you can imagine, there is a long parade of animals to and from our household, but never a dull moment - like the time we were transporting a boxer to a rescue dropoff 75 miles from home and since I was handfeeding hummingbirds I had to take them along. It was amazing to have them in the truck with us while we were fascilitating a dog rescue at the same time.

I look forward to learning a lot from the group.

Lee

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
  3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

I'm in East Central Phoenix

Once again.. here's the link to introduce yourself to all the rest of us Zonies.
    Arizona Chickens

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

6. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    [​IMG] . Thats great that you help all those animals. I always wwanted to go to AZ, but never been.

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

8. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

9. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues