Hi I’m new here!

TheTitanHens

Chirping
Jun 14, 2019
Hey everyone I’ve been stalking the site for so long for so much info about chickens. I now have six! Three Buff Orpingtons: Themis and Rhea and three Speckled Sussex: Mnemosyne, Tethys and Phoebe. They are about 14 weeks now and free range most of the days, but they have a big run and coop to go into. The trouble is they don’t want to! We just had a huge rain here and I about pulled my hair out trying to get them to run back to their covered run. They got soaked. It’s 80 degrees here and I of course worry about them getting a chill. Their feathers hold so much water. :( I tried to approach them with a towel and they just grumbled at me and ran away. :confused:

:welcome

You might want to keep the flock in their run for a while...they'll get used to it being their "home" and should learn to return to it in the early evenings. You can get them used to coming to you by putting a favorite treat (like meal worms or sunflower seeds) in a can, shake it so they learn to associate the sound with goodies. As for the rain, some chickens don't like it and some don't mind.

Thanks for joining us

:welcome

You might want to keep the flock in their run for a while...they'll get used to it being their "home" and should learn to return to it in the early evenings. You can get them used to coming to you by putting a favorite treat (like meal worms or sunflower seeds) in a can, shake it so they learn to associate the sound with goodies. As for the rain, some chickens don't like it and some don't mind.

Thanks for joining us
Oh they know where home is! But since the rain started in the early evening and not “near their bedtime” they had no intentions of cutting their free range time short! I shook mealworms and treats till I was blue in the face. Usually they come but they knew I wanted to lock them up early and ran in the opposite direction from me.

Hey everyone I’ve been stalking the site for so long for so much info about chickens. I now have six! Three Buff Orpingtons: Themis and Rhea and three Speckled Sussex: Mnemosyne, Tethys and Phoebe. They are about 14 weeks now and free range most of the days, but they have a big run and coop to go into. The trouble is they don’t want to! We just had a huge rain here and I about pulled my hair out trying to get them to run back to their covered run. They got soaked. It’s 80 degrees here and I of course worry about them getting a chill. Their feathers hold so much water. :( I tried to approach them with a towel and they just grumbled at me and ran away. :confused:

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

Hi there the titan,
Welcome to the coop where get the scoop on anything poultry related. I hope you an eggsalent time !!

All puns aside this place has helped me immensely. You can find many useful articles for pretty much any situation in the forums, and everyone here is friendly and glad to help.

I moved from nj last year I was in Gloucester county. My chickens sometimes run in the rain and jump in the duck pool too. I just think they like an occasional cool off or dip like anyone else. I'm up here in super cold maine now, and mine always dry off no problems actually I'm glad they do get wet, sometimes I just dont wanna know what they got in their feathers ( like dinochildren they are!)

Back
Top Bottom