Hi! I am brand new to chickens...

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Having lived in northern Kansas, I would suggest getting some really cold hardy breeds such as Australorps, Orpingtons, Wyandottes, Brahmas, Sussex, etc. If high egg production is a priority, I would recommend Black Sex Links, which are cold hardy, egg laying, hybrid machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of breeds and hybrids, including the ones on this list), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. They have been especially persistent layers in really cold winter weather when the lay rate of my other hens have dropped off considerably. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed or hybrid you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Hi. Wyandottes 7 - The research I've done, mostly on this site, tells me that I want Gold Star, Golden Sex Link, Leghorn or Ancona for egg layers. The meat chicks I think will be Blue Hen of Delaware or Cornish cross. That's what I want, it depends on what breeds Orschlen's gets, they will be in tomorrow.

My husband is a great carpenter. He builds things in his head and then really builds it. I couldn't do that, I have to have plans and drawings and instructions.

Mountain Peeps - my husband also says this (raising chicks) is a diversion from some stress and he indulges me. Doesn't matter, I think this will be good.

We had lunch with grandkids last weekend and told them we were getting chickens. They haven't stopped talking about seeing the chickens since then.

Michael OShay - Great information, Thank you. I'll be taking you up on the Q&A. I'll look but what is the difference of Gold sex link and black sex link?

Last edited:
The research I've done, mostly on this site, tells me that I want Gold Star, Golden Sex Link, Leghorn or Ancona for egg layers.

Michael OShay - Great information, Thank you. I'll be taking you up on the Q&A. I'll look but what is the difference of Gold sex link and black sex link?
You might want to think twice about Leghorns or Anconas in Kansas. Being Mediterranean breeds, they are not as cold hardy as the other chickens on your list and their combs (especially those of the Leghorns) are subject to severe frost bite.
Actually Gold Star and Golden Sex Link are essentially the same bird. Those are two of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Not only can the resulting offspring be sexed by hatching from hatching (males are whitish, females are reddish), but they are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Other labels under which hatcheries market Red Sex Links include Golden Buff, Cinnamon Queen, Red Star, Isa Brown, Golden Comet, Brown Sex Link, etc.
Black Sex Links, also marketed as Black Stars, are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a Barred Rock hen. Like Red Sex Links, the resulting offspring can be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks have a white spot on top of their heads, the tops of female chicks' heads are solid black), and like Red Sex Links, they are also egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. I've raised both sex link varieties for years and personally prefer the Black Sex Links as mine have been friendlier than my Red Sex Links, and have been slightly better layers in really cold winter weather, however you can't go wrong with either sex link variety.

I got 10 black sex links and 15 Cornish cross for meat. 1 of the black sex links is male. I have had them for a week and haven't lost any! They are in a brood in the garage currently.

I got 10 black sex links and 15 Cornish cross for meat. 1 of the black sex links is male. I have had them for a week and haven't lost any! They are in a brood in the garage currently.

The Cornish cross are the best meat birds. Just be sure and butcher them by 8 weeks. If you wait longer than that, they will begin developing health problems due to their abnormal growth rates. I think you will be very happy with the Black Sex Links. I love mine. :eek:)

I have lost 2 cornish cross now, a few days apart. I think they just fell asleep under the heat lamp and didn't bother to move when they got too hot.
had fun with them yesterday and discovered that they are so funny when I tore a piece of bread and they just ran/flew all around the brooder and chased each other for it.

Back
Top Bottom