Hi I am new to BYC but have enjoyed the site for awhile!

windyfeathers

Hatching
Dec 29, 2016
I have had my 5 chickens since early spring '16 in a small coop set up from Tractor Supply and they also have free range. However I have to practically stand on my head to clean the coop and wanted something I could stand up in. So I am taking about 4' x 6' of my storage barn ( I store furniture, decor items, etc to be changed out seasonally in this) to use for an area for my chickens. There is a window in the area and has wood siding and floor. However I am trying to decide if the divider walls (to separate from storage area) should be of plywood or just wire? I plan to put heavy plastic on the floor covered with sand. But I'm wondering if flies/dust/oders would be greater in storage area with wire/screen or less likely with plywood walls. I'd enjoy input from everyone. Thanks

Hi and welcome to BYC - great that you have joined us. Dust, you will get, regardless of what you do (possibly less with the wooden partitions, but I'm not sure). I use my garden shed and put 6-8" of dry grass clippings / leaves on the floor. Almost no odour, no flies and I only have change it twice a year.

You'll get more suggestions if you post on the "Coops and Runs" forum. You can also use the search box for additional inspiration. You may also wish to look at ventilation issues in a prefab structure.

Best wishes
CT

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif

I think whichever way you go, there are pros and cons so really it comes down to what works best for you. If you use plywood walls, be sure to provide lots of ventilation. If you use wire, choose hardware cloth over chicken wire (it will provide more protection from predators).

Thanks for joining us.

Greetings from Kansas, windyfeathers, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! I think the solid wells might help with dust and perhaps odor, but flies will be flies and will make it through regardless. I think the sand is a great idea! Best wishes!

G’Day from down under windyfeathers
frow.gif
Welcome and Happy New Year!

I am glad you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom