Hi I am new to chicken world.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by db, Jun 28, 2011.

1. db

db Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2011
    [​IMG] I have 26 pullets, they are 18 weeks old. We found our first egg today, NOT in the nesting box BUT on the coop floor. I have a BIG problem, ever since chicks THEY slept in corner together and STILL do, even with roosts. WHAT DO I DO? How do I get them to stop piling up in the corners?

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

First let me say [​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! [​IMG] I really don't know what to tell you about your "pile of chickens"! Someone should have some kind of answer for you.

3. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    Hi! [​IMG]
    [​IMG] from Australia!

Out chicks had exactly the same problem when we started putting them out in the coop overnight from their brooder...
    Is the coop perhaps too cold? They could be huddling together for warmth.
    Or else it's just that they don't know what the roosts are for: we picked each one up and put it on the roost at night: they'd be too scared to jump down so would sleep up there. Did this until they got used to it [​IMG]

Congrats on the egg! [​IMG]
    It's such fun looking for the eggs when they don't lay in the nesting boxes... [​IMG]

Hope to see you more around the forum

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Michigan! whiteflare's right. When it starts getting dark, head out to the coop and toss a few girls up on the roost. The others will follow. Also, make sure the roost is wide enough to be comfortable. Mine use the wide side of a 2x3.

5. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

Are your roosts maybe too high? I haven't shown any of my birds in the grow out pen how to roost, but even the 8 week olds are doing fine. Low roost though.

6. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

As for getting the eggs laid in the nest, have you tried putting a ceramic egg in each laying nest? From what I can tell, young pullets don't understand what is happening to them the first time they lay - but if they see those ceramic eggs in the nest, they will then lay subsequent eggs in the nest because obviously if another chicken put an egg there, it must be a good place to put their eggs.This seems to have worked with our pullets - one egg outside the nest in the run, all others inside the nest.

7. FiveAcres

FiveAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    White, GA
    [​IMG] from NW Georgia!! Glad you joined us on the best Chicken site available!!

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. FeatheredObsessions