hi i am new :)

deannaj

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
I am moving down south in a few months and hope to raise some chickens, but I have never done it before so hopefully this will help me figure out what I need to do.

thumbsup.gif

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Be sure to check out the Learning Center:Learning Center Articles

It has lots of information for new chicken owners.

When you start thinking about breeds, check out the Breeds section, for reviews on different breeds: Chicken Breeds - BackYard Chickens Community

And, when you begin looking at coops, go to the Coops section: Coop Designs

Along the way, if you have any questions, feel free to ask! There are lots of helpful people on here who would love to answer questions!

Good luck with your future poultry adventures!

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So glad you could join our community! Looks like Wyandottes and Michael have left you with some great links to follow for all the info!

Good luck and if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask. Welcome to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I would definitely check out the Learning Center. It is full of information for chicken newbies.
smile.png

What chicken breeds are you interested in? There are many to choose from, from tiny bantams to gentle Orpingtons to feisty, egg producing Leghorns.

No, I don't have any breed preference. I just wanted to get a few chickens, just for the eggs to feed a family of 6. How many chickens do you think I will need? What would be the best breed for someone who knows very little? I have 6 months to learn!

Thank you for the warm welcome :)

No, I don't have any breed preference. I just wanted to get a few chickens, just for the eggs to feed a family of 6. How many chickens do you think I will need? What would be the best breed for someone who knows very little? I have 6 months to learn!

Thank you for the warm welcome :)
Well, how many you need depends on how many eggs your family eats a day. Each hen can be expected to lay 4-6 eggs per week, except during winter and fall, when egg production declines.

As for the best breed, that is a harder questions to answer. It depends on your individual environment, preferences, and goals. If you want egg laying machines, I'd try some Sex-links, Leghorns, or Australorps. For dual purpose, gentle breeds, I would recommend the Wyandotte, Orpington, Easter Egger, and Plymouth Rock. Or, if you just want some ornamental birds to have around the yard, you might want to get some Polish, Silkies, other bantam breeds, or Faverolles.

Weather plays a factor, too. If you live in a bitterly cold area, don't get a breed with a huge comb (Leghorn, Minorca, etc.), or one with poor feathering (Turken, Silkie, etc.). Differently, if you live in a really hot area, you probably wouldn't want a heavily feathered breed like the Cochin or Brahma.

Back
Top Bottom