Hi I need Help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Little Red Henn, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Little Red Henn

Little Red Henn New Egg

Nov 5, 2015
    I am looking for help to get my HOA covenants changed. I live in Centennial CO, a suburb of Denver. It's my understanding that Centennial allows 6 hens, no roosters. I know this will take hard work, time and much patience. I have contacted my HOA to see if other home owners have shown same interest. I was told in the past seven years this person has volunteered his position, no one had given any indication of desiring chickens.

Has anyone out there had any experience dealing with HOA covenants and had any success making an appeal?

I'm also wanting to build my case with stats that tell how chickens are not problematic to neighbors: not as nosey as dogs, family friendly, clean??, not smelly??

What are other facts that would build my case?

I also understand that the "city" of Denver allows chickens, roosters, goats and other fowl.

Thanks for any help!
    Henny

2. BlessedCountry6

BlessedCountry6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, welcome to BYC! I do not live in an HOA currently ( well it's put together for the maintenance of our country road and has nothing to do with animals allowed in our area). I have lived in areas with HOA's but I have no idea how to go about this. But this should give your post a bump.

I would look up the threads for your area and try these questions there also.
    Good luck with changing your HOA. I hope you can find others in your neighborhood who would enjoy chickens too.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Post on your state thread, you may find others who will rally round your cause. You might also mention Chicago allows chickens, even roosters. If Chicago can do it, any city can. I wish you luck.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us and wishing you luck in getting your own flock.

IMO, Getting the HOA to approve your request will depend on how well they enforce the rules in place and what relationship you have with your immediate neighbors.

The place to start is to look for evidence of others who have not met the rules in other ways - ours required any fencing to be "decorative", yet many here did not comply and got away with it. A few houses "fudged" the home size requirements. And others broke our rules with location of parking campers, boats in the unaccepted spots.

Get your immediate neighbors eggcited about the idea even if they don't want their own flocks. You may be surprised that they will be supportive. Mine were enthusiastic about the promise of free eggs and the nostalgia of having chickens close by.

Research other community groups success stories to discount the noise and smell myths - they are not as noisy as dogs, the coops only smell if not cleaned regularly. Most backyard coops are as attractive as a playhouse for children. Google the battles going on in all areas to overturn ordinances and there is a wealth of positive arguments you can use. Get a portfolio of this evidence together and get a petition started. Persevere and bet you will be able to win your case.

Draw up plans of what you plan to build or pictures of beautiful coops and cute chickens to add to the portfolio.

A little luck and perseverance and you can win your right to get your own flock.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I do not have any experience with an HOA but I wish you luck in your endeavors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by