Hi! I'm from NJ and I'm interested in chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by shadow rabbit10, Mar 3, 2012.

1. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    Hello! I'm from NJ and I was looking into chickens as pets. My uncle is a cop and he says I am allowed to have roosters as long as they don't get out of control. I have two problems. First, I need to fully convince my mom. Second, I can't decide on a breed. I had two options in mind. I can have a maximum of 12 birds in my town so I was thinking of either a mixture of 8 bantam breeds or 6 standards. As for standards, I was looking at transylvanian naked necks. I know I sound crazy, but I think they are so cute! As for bantams, I was looking at 8 different breeds. (silkie, Easter egger, barred rock, bearded d'uccle, Belgian d'anver, sebright, polish, and welsummer). So, to get to the point, I was hoping anyone could give me some feedback and their opinions on these breeds. Assorted bantams, or naked necks? I was hoping to get a few eggs out of them, and to show them in 4-H. I am the proud owner of six rabbits and I am hoping to have a liter this year. Any feedback would be helpful. I am hoping to have some birds by June or July!

2. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. We have Polish, Easter Eggers, and Silkies, and I really love all of them, but the Polish are my favorites because of their personalities. And you're not alone, Naked Necks are so beautiful [​IMG] Have you checked out the Breeds Database on here. It might help you decide.

3. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome [​IMG]

If you want very friendly, calm bantams then go for Polish. I love our two - such characters. We had a Silver Sebright and loved her to bits. They can be a bit flighty, but she wasn't (too busy bossing everyone else around to find time to fly away).

4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from nothern Michigan [​IMG]

Unless you are planning on breeding you don't need roosters - that may keep your neighbors happier. And if you are going to breed, you may want to focus on one or two breeds, as otherwise you will have to separate your birds into separate breeding groups.

Try googling the Henderson chicken chart for good info on different breeds.

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Welcome from Louisiana!

6. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BackYardChickens.

7. shadow rabbit10

shadow rabbit10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the feedback! Now that I think about it, I might be better off without a rooster. I almost feel like getting naked necks, but bantams are still an option. I have been researching the breeds for months and I think I have found a few favorites. I hope to get my birds by the summer. I really appreciate all the feedback and again, thanks![​IMG]

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by